Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my chickens lay more than eggs..............

my chickens lay more than eggs..............

....Tiger Woods is thinking of ordering a dozen........

Our 13 hens lay 8-10 eggs a day. Not bad given the cool temperatures. Our 1 rooster smiles a LOT
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Very very nice nesting boxes as well as clean! Are you trying to get them to set on those eggs?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I bet you built the hen boxes from plans off the web! I found the same plans and built several sets for a lady up towards Volcano Village. Lot of eggs you're getting. Pam's coop is in the shade too much and they roost more than lay eggs
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Very very nice nesting boxes as well as clean! Are you trying to get them to set on those eggs?
    Thanks jonathan, but not trying to get them to set, thats what they laid between 630 am and 1030am. The boxes were built out of scrap flooring and I keep them clean as I don't like washing eggs!

Just saw your post Royal...got the plans out of a book but they are probably on the web somewhere. Pretty simple design and quick.
    Last edited by Barry Stratton; 01-04-2009 at 10:06 PM.

That's a good idea using a golf ball. Long ago, when I grew up on a poultry farm, we had plastic fake eggs that we'd put in to get the hens to use the nests.

And I assume you know you don't need a rooster unless you plan to hatch the eggs. The hens will lay exactly the same without a rooster but the eggs will be infertile. If you don't plan on hatching, the rooster is just eating feed and adding nothing - until you use him for Sunday dinner.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hey Barry, I'm out of the chicken business for now but had some for quite a few years. A little joke to play on whom ever collects the eggs. The folks who owned our farm house years ago raised chickens and the husband would wait until the wife had collected the eggs and then sneak out and put them back in the boxes.......She was bragging all over town that her chickens were laying eggs twice per day!! She eventually caught him in the act.

Good one Paul, I'll have to try and pull that on myself

Yes Mike, the rooster doesn't add anything egg wise, but he is almost priceless for his entertainment value when they are out in the yard free ranging or (on a -15 degree day like today) in the coop! Raising chickens just wouldn't be the same without at least one rooster crowing and strutting! Besides, there's still 20 or so meat birds in the freezer from last fall's butchering spree.

We had a few laying hens growing up, but mostly it was broilers...50,000 every 7 weeks to be exact.That was a bit too many, but the Rooster was I remember. Darn near pecked me to death one day when I was like 5...kind of scared of roosters after that.

As for the nesting boxes, its nice to see that I am not alone. I've been building and building but I didn't think anyone on here would want to see mangers, hay racks and Ram hovels so I kept to myself. Its nice to see people building practical, simple stuff once and awhile too.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Back when gas was a quarter... We had chickens, we used Alabaster nest eggs, been in the family a long time. also had some river rocks that looked like eggs (painted white) those hens were so stupid that they would sit on a rock and try to hatch it but at least they weren't dumb enough to try to hatch a golf ball. They must be at the bottom of the class.

BTW our nesting boxes looked just like those...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    .....those hens were so stupid that they would sit on a rock and try to hatch it ....
    Now thats funny

And I hear you on the roosters Travis, I drop kicked many a rooster as a kid......... So far so good with this one but the stew pot is ALWAYS an option at my house. Some critters just require more spices