burr elm wall hanging

hello all, heres a piece that i did a while ago

below is a clicky link of a short video of it being done
heres the video

i started with a badly cupped natraul edge burr
DSCF4296.jpg

DSCF4297.jpg

i planned it both sides and sucked it onto my lathe with a 6" vacum chuck to sand it to 400 grit
DSCF4298.jpg

i was losing pressure due to the natraul voids in the burr, i can either fill these from behind or attach a piece of ply to suck to!!
DSCF4299.jpg

heres the front sanded, now which way up looks best :-k
DSCF4300.jpg

DSCF4301.jpg

heres a blurry bit of 3/4" ply
DSCF4302.jpg

thats better :D
DSCF4303.jpg

here it is
DSCF4304.jpg

DSCF4305.jpg

i've marked out my design in pencil and i've found the first center
DSCF4306.jpg

heres the first circle complete
DSCF4308.jpg

here it is now turned on 4 centers and some textureing done, at this stage i like it and wonder wetehr to do more or leave it?
DSCF4311.jpg

close up of texture
DSCF4313.jpg

the finished piece with one coat of oil
DSCF4314.jpg

DSCF4315.jpg

when i do off center work like this i turn my phone of, lock my work shop door and double check everything every time i move it or use it i.e tool rest etc. i also have a foot switch which i hover my foot over all the time.
it certainly requires a clear head and full concentration

Last edited:
Outstanding!:thumb: Would love to hang something like that on my wall!

My lathe would walk out the door if I tried something like this. Thanks for sharing! :clap:

George,

I was wondering why you chose to use a vacuum chuck instead of just screwing/bolting the piece to a faceplate, either with or without the plywood? I would think it would be more secure, less likely to slip and perhaps a little safer. For example, if there were a power failure. But then again, I'm not an engineer and have been known to be overly cautious at times.

Ken Easley
Phoenix

good question ken- firstly if theres a power faliure theres enough of a vacum to stay secure for 30 seconds or so- which is more than enough time to catch such a beautifull burr :doh:

it could have been done screwed to a faceplate but its much harder to get the correct centre and everytime your on the wrong centre its a long frustrating job to get it back of unscrew the faceplate move it 2mm the attach it again, much quicker on a vacum.

theres is no slip on my vacum system- i'm a big guy 6'5" and i cannot break the bond between the vacum and the wood.

best wish's
george

Thanks, whatever you are doing obviously works. I don't think my vacuum system pulls quite that much. You do have some nice equipment there,

Ken