Drawer planing jig

Ian Gillis

Hi

Took a few shots tonight of last night's wee project. I'm going to be making a few drawer boxes out of pine. I decided to go 7/16" thickness on the backs and sides. This is not to save money on materials (I'm resawing 3/4" S4S stock for this), but because it'll make the drawers look lighter, give me a tiny bit more space, and make the dovetailing easier.

I tried using a bevel head screw as a planing stop, but it's not stable enough for me (or vice versa). I wanted something that would hold the pieces securely in one place.

I think you'll get the idea just by looking at the pics. There are a couple of hardboard cams on dowels that can be adjusted for different widths of stock. The oak strips are planed to about 5/16" so I can check my scribe line, and the strip at the end has some fine finish nails nipped off short. They keep the piece flat on the "deck". The dowels on the bottom fit into my dog holes.

That is all :)

Attachments

• jig top.jpg
    jig top.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 51
  • jig btm.jpg
    jig btm.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 38
  • corner detail.jpg
    corner detail.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 36
  • smoother.jpg
    smoother.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 43
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 47
Nicely done

Now THAT is using your head! Good idea!

I just finished making a couple bench jigs as outlined in Norm Priollo's FWW article. I made the "thin stock planing sled" and added a removable wedge to it. I think your idea would work a lot better.

You really should submit this to a magazine. It's definately worth it.

Thanks guys :)

Hi,

Thanks for the nice comments. I had no idea I was covering ground that Nahm Abrams had already gone over.

Planing sled is probably a better name than "drawer side planing jig", which is what I called in my head. If I was to build one for a magazine, I'd have to build a much prettier one with nicer materials -- my knotty chunk of fir ply wouldn't cut it :D

Last edited: