Photo Tutorial

Chuck, you might want to refresh your PDF. I've had a number of minor edits to the tutorial since it was first posted.

Hi Neal, thanks for the heads up... I went back and refreshed the PDF.. I plan to study your techniques closely... some of what you talk about, my son, who is an accomplished photographer has tried to tell me, but it's better to have it written for reference than trying to remember technical stuff at my age.

I've never tried "Gimp", I've looked at it, but it looked complicated, so went back to what I was familiar with... I use the microsoft digital image pro 9, because I am familiar with it... Ed, my step-son, shoots with a Nikon D80 and uses the software that came with his camera to edit his pictures... his web site is Tellicoimages dot com.

Hopefully, with yours and Ed's help, my photography will improve.:thumb:

Neal,

Thanks for a really understandable tutorial.

I'm sure my photos will improve tremendously after reading all those very good pointers.:D

Regards,

Mike Crawshaw

Has anyone ever use Picasa 3? I've used Picasa for storing my photos for about 2 years, but never downloaded their software. I just watched the youtube video showing its features and it looks pretty cool...best of all it's a free download.

YouTube Link

Piccasa is my default downloading program. I store and sort there then delete the non-keepers. My editing is done with PhotoShop Elements.

I like to fool around with my Sony DSC-H2 occasionally. My film Nikons have been sitting in the cabinet, unused, for a couple years.

Attachments

• 4 turkeys.jpg
    4 turkeys.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 16
  • buzzard 1.jpg
    buzzard 1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 19
Hey Frank,
Cool Buzzard... friend of your??

Can I download your birds and pass to my son.. he loves pictures of birds. He's been trying to get a good shot of wild turkeys for a while now. He'll get a kick out of the buzzard too.

Picture taking !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this Neal , I'll have the wife read this for she does all my picture taking for me .:thumb:...........Marshall.....:type:

Neal,
thanks for the lesson, I'm 'old school' enough though that I'll probably still handhold, though I do have a pretty hefty tripod available. I've still got my old photo rig from my studio days. I won't drag it all out to the shop until/if I actually make something worthy of serious recording. Until then my DSC from work will have to do the job.

Neal,
thanks for the lesson, I'm 'old school' enough though that I'll probably still handhold, though I do have a pretty hefty tripod available...
"Old School" includes a tripod...

antique-camera-tripod-2.jpg

:p

Most of my "product shots" are taken in the 0.5 to 1.0 second range (at around f/22), so a tripod is essential for me.

Has anyone ever use Picasa 3? I've used Picasa for storing my photos for about 2 years, but never downloaded their software. I just watched the youtube video showing its features and it looks pretty cool...best of all it's a free download.

YouTube Link

My 80 year old uncle uses it pretty proficiently Jeff...you should be good. :D I've used it for a while now, works really well for simple editing and photo management.

YouTube Link

I've downloaded Picasa onto my system awhile back.. don't use it much as I find it a little more complicated than I want to work with.. it will do some things my Microsoft Image Pro won't do. May have to spend some more time playing with it.

nice tutorial ned,, never seen the program your using but it has some real good stuff in it i am from the photoshop gang,,the real one not the lower version of elements.. not sure you are aware of it or not but threw curves you can get your brightness and contrast and sharpens too pretty close. its not for first timers tho, and your not one of those! the jist of it is to have a s-curve rather than a convex or concave,, and to use the idividual colors seperatly. great post and very well written.