Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with scaling a project in SU and using the Cutlist plugin

Problem with scaling a project in SU and using the Cutlist plugin

I created a drawing of a desk clock in SU ver 6 and then used the scale tool to enlarge it based upon one of the dimensions, to a mantle sized clock and then saved it as a new file. I was experimenting with the cutlist plugin and used the mantle clock to try my first attempt at a cutlist. The list generated ok, I was able to read it, access it, no problem. However I noticed that the dimensions were not correct and upon further review I realized that the dimensions in the cutlist were the exact dimensions of the desk clock prior to it being scaled up.

Has anyone else experienced this, is there some procedure to avoid this?

SteveP.

Normal operation, I'm afraid. The definitions of the components retain the original dimensions even after you've scaled them. The plugin is just reading the definitions.

You'll notice if you drag in one of the components from the In Model library that it comes in as the original size.

One thing you could do sale the component when it is open for editing. I believe the definition will get updated then.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

that's what i was thinking last night. that the over all dimensions were adjusted, but not the seperate components.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I had a gut feeling that the answer would be along those lines. Kinda makes scaling a design a pain. Oh well.

SteveP.

I guess considering we're using SketchUp in a way that it wasn't intended to be used, it could be looked upon as a small problem.

Depending upon the project, you might find it better to resize rather than rescale components. For example, suppose you want to add 24" to a 36" long table. Rather than scaling the aprons and top to increase their length. Open the components and select the entities at one end. Use the Move tool to move them the 24". Then move the legs and other parts across the end of the table. If you had drawn the joinery on the aprons or added any edge detail to the top, scaling would distort those things. In fact scaling would also distort the table's legs and other parts as well.

I agree that this is not a huge problem. I did keep in mind the distortion problems that come along with scaling. This design didn't have any features that distorted when I scaled it. I had a feeling that it would scale well but I was nontheless prepared to redraw it once I liked the major dimensions. As it turned out, I did not have to. I cannot imagine too many more situations where I would simply scale an entire design.

SteveP.

Here's kind of an interesting visual of a problem related to scaling components. Not quite the same thing as what you were running into.

A fellow drew John White's New Fangled Bench awhile ago. He drew a board and made it a component. Then he copied and scaled it to make the other boards in the bench. It looks nice enough until you start editing it. In the attached image, I opened the near leg component for editing and drew a circle on the face. Notice the ellipses that appeared on the related components. BTW, I rotated the stretcher so you could see the corresponding face.

This would also result in a cutlist that shows all of the pieces as the same size when in the model, they don't appear to be.

Copying the component to use for other parts of the model is alright but if those other parts would be a different size, you need to remember to make them unique and resize the new component while it is open for editing.

Dave
    Do you have a link for the latest version of the plugin for Cutlist? I had it on my old machine before the hard drive went. Now that I've got SU7 and Cutlist re-installed on the new machine I'd like to try using the plugin.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Hi Doug,

[
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 10-16-2009 at 11:06 AM.

You know ... all this scaling talk has me wondering if some of these challenges could be tackled with the new dynamic components feature in SU7.

Say ... one with a tenon on each end. One with a tenon on one end. One with a mortise on both ends. That kind of thing ... or maybe someone will come up with a single "Board" dynamic component that would let you configure each ... yeah that gets hairy quick.

I have avoided playing with SU7 Pro's trial because I'm sure I'd love making dynamic components and have to buy it :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA