Thread: Craftsman Professional Model Table Saw

Craftsman Professional Model Table Saw

I have a Craftsman Professional Model Table Saw and I really like the saw it was easy to set up and works very well.

The only problem I have is that the arbor is short. A 1/2" dado blade is about the maximum I can put on it.

Does anyone know if there is a replacement arbor that has a longer threaded portion?

Thanks for your time.

Dan Mooney

Hi Dan, and welcome. Are you leaving the arbor washer off the arbor when you stack your dado set? Leaving the washer off is a common practice that's recommended by several manufacturers including Freud. As long as the nut is fully seated, it's a safe practice that allows a few more chippers to be added.

HTH
    Got Wood?

Re:Craftsman Professional Model Table Saw

Thanks for reply Scott, I tried your suggestion today and it worked beautiful!

My eternal Gratitude!!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daan Mooney View Post
    Thanks for reply Scott, I tried your suggestion today and it worked beautiful!

My eternal Gratitude!!

Dan
    Of course, that's gonna cost you some pics of what your building. We like pictures around here.

Welcome aboard, Dan. I'll echo Scott's advice...a lot of contractor saws have shorter arbors, and as he said, many manufacturers recommend leaving the washer off. It is important to get the nut all the way onto the threads.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Of course, that's gonna cost you some pics of what your building. We like pictures around here.
    That's right! Scott's wizardry doesn't come cheap, we like pictures . FWIW, I leave the washer off my Freud stack for wider cuts as well.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

Craftman Pro Table Saw

I had your problem on both of my Craftsman saws (one is very old, 50s the other is very late 90s). I make a point to thread the nut on with the flat side toward the blade and it works very well with all three stacked dados and my Excaliber.

Ray Gerdes

I have a Dayton (Grainger) 10 TS, the company that make them for Grainger supplied them to Sears at one point. Check and see if your arbor has a recessed hex hole in the end of it. If so there is a dado arbor that is longer. I ran 2 sets of dado blades, with a 1/2" spacer between them. The set was used to make bridle joints on my 12 bar stools, 48 perfect cuts. I'd like to have a PM, but they don't have the longer arbor, and I don't have room for 2 TS's so I'll hang on to my Dayton.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dado stack.jpg   joint cut.jpg   joint.jpg   bar stool.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

Welcome aboard, Dan. I'll echo Scott's advice...a lot of contractor saws have shorter arbors, and as he said, many manufacturers recommend leaving the washer off. It is important to get the nut all the way onto the threads.
    Can I pass "Go" and collect my $200 now?

Got Wood?