Yew Pot

A bit cold to be in a shed here tho' I suspect it's a lot colder for some of you in the colonies:rofl:

Managed to get out and do a few things

8" tall, 4 1/2" dia. Sealed & waxed Left thick as it would be too fragile otherwise

Pete

Pete, That's a nice looking piece! I've noticed yew use a lot of Yew wood. Looks like it has a lot of character. Is that a common wood in the "kingdom"? Wonder if it is similar to the Yew that grows in the Western US?? BTW, not too cold out here in the colony of Arizona, 60's and sunny....as usual:). Cheers, Barry

Pete, That's a nice looking piece! I've noticed yew use a lot of Yew wood. Looks like it has a lot of character. Is that a common wood in the "kingdom"? Wonder if it is similar to the Yew that grows in the Western US?? BTW, not too cold out here in the colony of Arizona, 60's and sunny....as usual:). Cheers, Barry

Thanks Barry. Yew is a common enough tree but getting hold of the wood in any size is not that easy as the tree lives for several hundreds of years and is predominantly found in graveyards. It used to be sacred to the druids. I don't know if it's the same as the one that you get. It has a deep red heartwood, white outer sap wood and if a nail or iron is introduced it leaves a purple stain. The rtreee grows with a wild grain hence the amazing character that you get in the wood.

Pete

That's some pretty wood, Pete. I can see the attraction to turning it. And you turned a real nice pot out of it, too. :thumb:

(Nice to see you drop by, too.) :wave: