Metal door paint

Al killian

At the hotel where I have been doing the touchup, the owner asked if I would paint a few metal doors for him. The paint is in spots peeling and I think it will need a good sanding before any painting begins. Now I know there should be some kind of primer, but what is it called? He uses sherwin paint. Just want to make sure I get the proper stuff.

I Have rattle can painted many doors here at the apartment complexes with Ace Hardware paint some of it I think is made by Sherwin Williams. When I contracted to have the major paint work done the painter commented on how good these doors looked & I told him how I painted them he said no way. In amongst the doors that he was going to paint were some pre-hung doors yet to be installed that I needed to paint the inside of & tape out so he could paint the outside of the door & door frame. So I did & he said he was just amazed that I got such a good job from a rattle can.

Maybe you can do the same & use Ace primer too.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with Chuck. If the undercoat is in reasonably good shape (clean, no chalking and not down to bare metal) you don't need to primer. The steps I follow include:

• take down door and lay it flat on a couple of sawhorses
  • remove the weather gaskets (usually on the bottom and handle side)
  • remove hardware
  • tape off inside jams
  • sand to 120 grit (you want a tooth)
  • wipe with a tack cloth
  • paint (spraying will result in much better results)

I'm in agreement with Chuck. If the undercoat is in reasonably good shape (clean, no chalking and not down to bare metal) you don't need to primer. The steps I follow include:

• take down door and lay it flat on a couple of sawhorses
  • remove the weather gaskets (usually on the bottom and handle side)
  • remove hardware
  • tape off inside jams
  • sand to 120 grit (you want a tooth)
  • wipe with a tack cloth
  • paint (spraying will result in much better results)

Aside from the Tack cloth (which causes more problems than corrects) That is what I did to my front door. But I did strip the old paint from the door and then sanded, Primed, and painted with a spray gun not rattle can. Come to think of it, That was no way what I did... Take down , lay on saw horses and then Plan B, Strip the old paint sand the rest of the mess. Prime with rattle can, then use quality spray gun and special mix of Oil Based paint to the color that fits my decor... let cure for a couple of days .

Last edited:
Thank, I will have him get the paint next week for me. The doors are going to stay hanging, as they are fire doors and very heavy. These hang in the halways and are in case a fire to help keep it confined to one area. Total of 12 of double doors.

Last edited: