Defraggle Your Motherdisc!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is for the computer geeks out there...

http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php

If you are not a computer geek, DO NOT try this at home. Do it instead at Best Buy or Circuit City, on one of their motherdiscs, where the friendly and helpful staff can assist you if you run into any trouble.

(This has some extra meaning to me, since I've been in the disk defragmenter business for nearly 18 years.) ;)

Seems a bit overkill. I just tape my disk platters to the hood of my car when I go through the car wash. Caution: Don't get the "Premium Hot Wax", it will affect your older MP3 files.

You mean hard drives aren't disposable?:eek:

All these years, I'd just toss them once they became full! You can clean them up like that? I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!:dunno::eek::rofl:

A lot of effort for nothing!

What happens is that all the tiny ones and zeros gets mixed and confused, and to get back the original speed on Your hard drive it's necessary to Defragment it.

That's why I have two disks -- keep my zeros on one and my one's on the other. Nice and neat.

So....what's wrong with the built in defrag software?

Well Frank, let me illustrate:

If you use one of the methods above, your hard drive will look like this:
SamsungF1HardDrive.jpg

But if you use the built-in defrag software, your hard drive will look like this:
hdc_hard-drive-crushed1bg.jpg
Please notice the "1s" and "0s" floating in the air. Say "bye, bye".

Frank, I'm not sure what you mean. But, when I tried to reply (the first time) I got a nearly blank screen with scary error messages. Had to reboot using the 'F8' thing (can I say "F8" here? :eek: ) to get back on board.
Enneyhow, I have used the built-in defrag for many years with no problems I can detect.
Keep in mind, I'm a user. As long as things work I'm happy. I do understand that 'stuff' happens in computers that drive genuine geeks nuts while the rest of us go along blissfully ignorant and using our computers just fine.
As long as the one in picture #2 works OK, wadda I care? ;)

What happens is that all the tiny ones and zeros gets mixed and confused, and to get back the original speed on Your hard drive it's necessary to Defragment it.

Yes, but if they get too crowded you can also just teach your little bits to stand up and get perpendicular.

Robert Mickley said:
But will it blend?

I didn't know what that meant before yesterday. Very timely.
And yes, yes it will. (that iPod is the HD model, I believe...)

So....wats wrong with the built in defrag software?
It's not as thorough, fast, or automatic as the third-party defraggers out there. (I know this, since we built it for Microsoft.) It also uses lots of resources, and pretty much renders your computer unusable while it's doing its work, whereas the third-party versions work in the background while you continue doing other stuff on your computer. For the average home user, the built-in defragger is fine. For power users and commercial environments, it's virtually worthless.

Best line of the whole article

Quote:
If you use Linux, then you'll of course don't need to do this operation at all...
That's because the Linux file system writes and reads in fixed 'bucket' sizes, regardless of whether the file is fragmented or not. Linux systems do indeed get fragmented, but defragmenting them doesn't appreciably improve their performance.