Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Re-Config

Shop Re-Config

Hi everyone,
    I meant to post this thread here, but plum forgot all about it until now!
    Well, here you go!
    __________________________________________________ ___

Ever get one of those projects that spawned several dozen? Well that's what happened to me when I was working on my hand tool cabinet.

I needed to hang it on a wall, so I had to clear some space. In order to do that I needed to move some tools around. And from there, well it escalated into a full shop reconfiguration.

I started with re-studding out the back wall (where there was an opening for an old garage door), running some lines for outlets . While I was doing that I water proofed, added insulation, hung 3/8" T&G plywood wainscoting, 1/4" white pegboard, and a chair rail. After that I moved the bench closer to the door, and moved my lathe closer to my dust collector. I also re-vamped my DC piping and added a floor sweep, and a dedicated run for my bandsaw, lathe, and tablesaw.

Aside from moving my axillary bench to the front and moving some tools around in the front portion of the shop, I really concentrated on the back portion of the shop. But it seems that this is the section that gets the most action whenever there is a project,

Here's are some old photos that give you an idea of the way it USED to look:

And here is the way it looks today.

I am VERY happy with the new layout. It's a lot easier to work at my bench. It's much more organized and all the power tools are easier to get to and work on. Plus the insulation, wainscoting and pegboard make it MUCH quieter and warmer to work in.
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Looks like a great improvement! Thanks for sharing, I'm doing some similar rearranging right now too.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I recently did a major reorg in my shop too - Isn't it great to be able to work more comfortably and get things done? Looks like yours is a winner!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco View Post
    Ever get one of those projects that spawned several dozen? Well that's what happened to me when I was working on my hand tool cabinet.

I needed to hang it on a wall, so I had to clear some space. In order to do that I needed to move some tools around. And from there, well it escalated into a full shop reconfiguration.
    What? Never heard of such a thing.

It is not fair, you are suppose to post while you are doing it so that we can watch your simple project balloon in a major project and your optimistic completion date disappear from sight...that is the way we all do it!

Kinda like the old look, looks used and loved.
    Although, I'm not so sure about the overhead storage of large wood chunks.
    Wats that thing in the yellow mobile base under the grinder?

Not as dangerous as it looks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Kinda like the old look, looks used and loved.
    If you added "drafty","cramped", "crowded", and "damp" you'd be right on.. I MUCH prefer the new arrangement and if you had to work in the old previous version, I think you'd agree.

Although, I'm not so sure about the overhead storage of large wood chunks.
    It's not as bad as it looks. Most of it is the angle at which the photo was shot. That shelf and the contents are quite stable. Even that one bowl off to the left that looks like it's hanging off.

Whats that thing in the yellow mobile base under the grinder?
    It's a 4 wheeled cart that I trash picked from the dumpster at my old job. The drawers are from an old work bench I also trash picked from the same place. It serves as a work surface to lay lathe tools on, holds my sharpening station, as well as some assorted lathe tools. it definitely ain't pretty. But it gets the job done.
    Last edited by Dominic Greco; 01-08-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    See ya around,
    Dominic

"Completion" date? What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    What? Never heard of such a thing.

It is not fair, you are suppose to post while you are doing it so that we can watch your simple project balloon in a major project and your optimistic completion date disappear from sight...that is the way we all do it!
    Who said the main project was complete? I'm still working on tool holders for the tool cabinet inner door panels!

And the funny thing was that I was all set to work on my bathroom during the week I had between quitting my old job and starting the new one. I totally blew that project off and started on the shop!
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Thanks Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I recently did a major reorg in my shop too - Isn't it great to be able to work more comfortably and get things done? Looks like yours is a winner!
    Yeah, it's a real pleasure to work in there now. I would have been satisfied just having all the outlets working and the back wall insulated and covered. I consider the rest gravy!
    See ya around,
    Dominic

Looks great Dominic. I didn't think the old one looked bad either, but keeping out the drafts and moisture makes a big difference.

You're equipped for just about anything by the looks of it -- handtools and those nice white machines, too. Looks like you've got a good handle on dust removal too.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

well dominic you done good on your bathroom subcontract??? well i got a couple questions how are you holding those planes up vertical? and what is that sled with the clamp attached for? one last thing the ring jig hanging up over on the wall behind the main work bench the one with many colored woods whats that for? gotta get the skinny so i can get me one too i dont get away with puttin off a bathroom job to work on shop reorganization your a lucky camper dominic
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!