I meant to post this thread here, but plum forgot all about it until now!
Well, here you go!
Ever get one of those projects that spawned several dozen? Well that's what happened to me when I was working on my hand tool cabinet.
I needed to hang it on a wall, so I had to clear some space. In order to do that I needed to move some tools around. And from there, well it escalated into a full shop reconfiguration.
I started with re-studding out the back wall (where there was an opening for an old garage door), running some lines for outlets . While I was doing that I water proofed, added insulation, hung 3/8" T&G plywood wainscoting, 1/4" white pegboard, and a chair rail. After that I moved the bench closer to the door, and moved my lathe closer to my dust collector. I also re-vamped my DC piping and added a floor sweep, and a dedicated run for my bandsaw, lathe, and tablesaw.
Aside from moving my axillary bench to the front and moving some tools around in the front portion of the shop, I really concentrated on the back portion of the shop. But it seems that this is the section that gets the most action whenever there is a project,
Here's are some old photos that give you an idea of the way it USED to look:
And here is the way it looks today.
I am VERY happy with the new layout. It's a lot easier to work at my bench. It's much more organized and all the power tools are easier to get to and work on. Plus the insulation, wainscoting and pegboard make it MUCH quieter and warmer to work in.