Toni needs help!!!

larry merlau

the poor fella is looking to build himself a router table and is looking for ideas,, so any of you folks got some pics or plans for him to peek at post them here.. and be ready for questions he gets right into his work and doesnt leave any stones unturned.. and who knows maybe westly can pick up some popinters too..

my suggestion is to have two suction holes on it for dust collection one behind the cutter areas and another underneath the router insert and router..

so post away folks give toni your best shot:D

I have read a few time where people have installed a DC slide gate to adjust the airflow through the Router table cabinet. I think I would install the gate across the cabinet from the actual DC gate so you can control the airflow over & around the router to help cool & keep the chips flowing out & away from the router.

I built this phase of mine back in December of '06.

Things I did right were drawers and hangers for frequently used tools right nearby, cubbies for router bit storage as things change, bolting it to the tablesaw and aligning the miter slot parallel to the saw's slots, taking my time getting the airflow optimized, made the fence removable from the top and reinforcing the support structure for the top.

Things I did wrong were not leaving an overhang to allow clamping to the top, building the large drawer on the lower left for "other" router storage (how was I supposed to know those things multiply?) when it could have been three small ones and not reinforcing the support structure for the top enough and having to go back an add more ;-).

Attachments

• Door-Cosed.jpg
    Door-Cosed.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Open-View.jpg
    Open-View.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Router-table-track-example.jpg
    Router-table-track-example.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
the poor fella is looking to build himself a router table and is looking for ideas,, so any of you folks got some pics or plans for him to peek at post them here.. and be ready for questions he gets right into his work and doesnt leave any stones unturned.. and who knows maybe westly can pick up some popinters too..

my suggestion is to have two suction holes on it for dust collection one behind the cutter areas and another underneath the router insert and router..

so post away folks give toni your best shot:D

Thanks Larry, with you I feel like having a bearded guardian angel ;). Bart,thanks for your comments.
Glenn, thanks for the pics. I think I'm gonna go for smething like yours.
What motor and lift did you put on it?

never been compared to an angel before i think you have had to much wine toni:) in glens table i would suggest making the lower intake for chips eithr flush with the floor of the compartment or make a funnel effect to direct the chips to it better that way it would grab them better..

Glenn, What motor and lift did you put on it?

I run a Milwaukee 5625 router and a Woodpecker PRL 16TPI. Both go on sale pretty often. I ran the router without a lift for about a year and a half. It comes with a t-handle for above the table adjustments and worked OK. The lift went on sale when Woodpecker announced their new lift and along with their email coupon I got it for around $220.

The top and fence are a Rockler. I have a new top sitting here (Also Rockler since it matches my fence) that I will install soon. I was just going to make one but Rockler recently changed their design and I got the top very cheap. It will have to be fitted for the PRL but that is no big deal. This will allow me about 2-1/2" of overhang at the left and right edges for clamping as I mentioned in my "things done wrong" section. :thumb:

Last edited:
Toni, mine is close to Norm's. I put an adjustable air vent under the door.

I used this phenolic plate from HF.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94331

I feel it's the same one serveral woodworking stores are selling for alot more.
No matter which plate you get, first thing to do is open the package and
make sure it's flat.

Just bought this Freud router to mount in the table.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=273209-333-FT1702VCEK&lpage=none

Tony: I have an older Bench dog Router table. But it had no place to store any thing. added on drawers and divided out space under where the router sits as it was wide open. Router Table 1.jpg
I have several routers. 4 of them have a base plate to fit into the router table
so I can just swap out routers without changing the bitsMore routers.jpg
The extra storage drawers I keep set ups from other projects to make quick hight and fence ajustments. Some have more bits in as well and then I keep bits used more frequently at close handExtra bits.jpg
I like the higher fence when runing taller pieces. The miter slots are a definet pluss for me.:D:thumb:

Attachments

• Extra routers.jpg
    Extra routers.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 26
Tony: I have an older Bench dog Router table. But it had no place to store any thing. added on drawers and divided out space under where the router sits as it was wide open. View attachment 28011
I have several routers. 4 of them have a base plate to fit into the router table
so I can just swap out routers without changing the bitsView attachment 28010
The extra storage drawers I keep set ups from other projects to make quick hight and fence ajustments. Some have more bits in as well and then I keep bits used more frequently at close handView attachment 28008
I like the higher fence when runing taller pieces. The miter slots are a definet pluss for me.:D:thumb:

Ron, without you knowing it you just solved a huge mystery for me. During my move from basement to workshop recently I came across this plastic strip with pieces of plastic riding on it like a saddle, There were holes in the saddle pieces. I looked at this thing for some time and wondered why the heck I had kept it and how it was used.
Seeing your picture with the router table and the bits mounted in the very same device I came across in my bunch of tools. It was a router bit holder that I think i was given at a woodworking show as a freebe.
Thanks I now have peace of mind.:D