Carving Tutorials

Thanks Mike! Will need to check out the sharpening wheel tutorial first and maybe the gumbo one next though. :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to put them together.

One at a time Mike :D I am still trying to get hold of a piece of brass to make the hammer.:rofl: You wont believe the price I have been quoted so far and how much of it I had to buy. Thanks for the tutorials this will help when I make a sign for above my shop door.:thumb:

Mike thanks for the tuts, I'll certainly study them carefully.
Enjoyed the brass hammer tut. If you don't mind a small hijack, I have made brass hammers although they are not as elegant as yours. BTW, I especially like the tip for drilling brass. Brass can be very 'grabby' with drilling.
Below are two I made from some scrap brass I had laying around. The first I made more than 30 years ago and use to this day for gun repairs. Nothing fancy. The hole in the brass was drilled with one of those gadgets that hold a 1/4" hand drill and make 'sorta' drill press out of it. Drilled the hole, screwed in the bolt, and "Voila" had a hammer. The second I use in my shop for a variety of tasks, very handy.

Attachments

• brass hammers.jpg
    brass hammers.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 10
Very nice, Frank. Why not turn a handle for the bolt-handled one? That is, drill a hole the diameter of the bolt in wood and then turn it to a handle. Slip the bolt into the hole and glue with epoxy (of course, make the handle short enough that threads stick out the end). It might give you more to grab on to when using the hammer.

Mike

Very nice, Frank. Why not turn a handle for the bolt-handled one? That is, drill a hole the diameter of the bolt in wood and then turn it to a handle. Slip the bolt into the hole and glue with epoxy (of course, make the handle short enough that threads stick out the end). It might give you more to grab on to when using the hammer.

Mike

I could do that. But after all these years, the hammer has taken on a character all it's own. And, in the shop and on the shooting range, that handle sometimes get called into duty for things other than gentle tapping. I'll probably make another one day.