Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interior Dog Gate Questions

Interior Dog Gate Questions

Long (and expensive) story short, one of our dogs has decided she wants to kill one of our other dogs. Because of this, we have always kept the dogs separated while we're not home. (All three dogs stay indoors when we're gone.) Until about a month ago, we used a child safety gate across the hallway, but recently she has figured out how to go over the gate. It's time for a larger, built-in gate.

I intend to build something similar to this, styled and stained to match the solid wood raised panel interior doors throughout our house:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dog Gate 1 LR.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	27595

or

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dog Gate 2 LR.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	27596

I intend to hang it and latch it just like an interior door, except the bottom of the gate will be about 5" off the ground (to clear the base molding in the hallway) and the top will be about 5' 6" above that. The gate is going across the hall, and not in an existing door frame, so I need to also attach the side parts of a door "frame" on opposite sides of the hall to support the hinges and the strike plate.

My questions:

Poplar or select grade pine? I think the existing woodwork is pine, so it'll probably be easier to match the color if I use pine. (The existing stain is Minwax "Puritan Pine" shade, and I plan to use the same.) Poplar would likely be a bit nicer to work with. Maple would be nice, but I think it's out of my budget.

Suggestions for attaching the "frame" to the hallway walls? The location isn't critical, so I should be able to anchor the hinge side to a stud. Should I go with lag bolts or would long deck screws suffice? Either will be countersunk and plugged.

The mortise and tenon joints for the vertical bars will be a bit tricky on the underneath side of the arched part. I'm thinking of doing away with the shoulders on the tenons for those joints, and cutting the mortise to the outside dimensions of the bars. (But only on the top. The all the other M&T joints would have a 1/4" tenon shoulder typically.) Any pitfalls to this idea?

Any suggestions are welcome.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sounds good to me. You could always place spacers between the top slats to make
    it look like tenons. I have done this before.

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.

Two cents worth

I have much more experience as a dog owner and DIY carpenter than as a woodworker, so I'll leave your question about the tenons to others.

I think long deck screws would be OK to mount the frame, but I would run one or two screws in each hinge all the way into the stud as well.

As for the choice of wood, I'd choose pine over poplar, but neither of those will stand up well to scratching by a good size dog. I don't know whether the staining would work out OK, but I'd try to use maple for at least the stiles and the frame (where most of the scratching is likely to occur) and the softer stuff for the slats.

I would also try to eliminate the 5" gap at the bottom; I'd worry that the dog would try to get underneath it and get stuck. Could you make the frame the same thickness as the baseboard and hang the door closer to the floor?

Good luck.

Tony
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Your dogs called, they want Bronze Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Your dogs called, they want Bronze Doors.

you should be more explicite ther frank the lady dog called,,she's the one thats got the attitude
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I am not a dog owner, but why not get the advice of a dog trainer? It may be more expensive than the door, but may be, it would spare you a lot work.

Not because of the door, ( that I'm sure will be fun for you) but if this behaviour continues what would be next? Separated kennels? Separated walking times? Having one of them killed or wounded, and having to put it down? Having to remember wether you closed that door or not?

Without going to the extrem of calling "The dog whisperer" I think that you should attack the source of the problem. The door should be something provisional while you work on the definite solution.
    Please notice, it was something that seemed to work but didn't solve the problem, only avoided it for a time, now you will be repeating the approach but not solving the REAL problem.

And after that, if you want to build that door, do it with the confidence of being able to leave it open and that you do it because you want a door there.

Sorry Vaughn, I'm pretty concious that this may be professional deformation of mine,but in my job I always have to fight against solutions that do not solve problems, just disguises them as being "solved" and sorry again, you were asking for ww advice instead of what I just gave you. but I thought I should do it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Vaughn, I understand your problem, as we've had a foster dog here for 2 years now, and she doesn't get along with our 8 year old girl. Can you say b----- fight? Twice in the middle of the night, LOML has had to take our girl in for stitches. Not cheap at the emergency vet. We play baby gate city to keep them separated. Our girl will still charge the gate at times. You can tell it's going to happen by the way they lock eyes and croutch.
    I'll be interested to see how you proceed and tackle your "fix". Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Poplar or select grade pine? ...
    Suggestions for attaching the "frame" to the hallway walls? ...
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Is this door likely to be scratched up by the dog? If so, go cheap, as it's going to get beat up soon. Or consider putting a brass plate (you see them at the borg for entrance doors) along the base of the door.

I would suggest the first door, as it looks more open and less obstructive. However, I would also suggest matching the doors that are already in the house.

Also, I would consider arranging a way for you to latch the door open. Do you want it closed all the time even when you're home? I doubt it. But if it swings free, it might not stay open. Using a conventional doorknob might actually be a problem then, since it'd possibly impact the hall wall. However, it could be a simple as putting a couple of BIG rare earth magnets in the door and a corresponding steel screw in board mounted along the wall.

Finally, by those drawings this door is 31" wide. Is this going to be a problem for any large furniture or items that might need to move down this hall in future?

best wishes,
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Maio View Post
    ...I would also try to eliminate the 5" gap at the bottom; I'd worry that the dog would try to get underneath it and get stuck. Could you make the frame the same thickness as the baseboard and hang the door closer to the floor?
    All three dogs are big -- the small one is over 50 pounds. Still, I'll look into the possibility of lowering the gate some.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    How old is the existing trim? Your going to have a real hard time matching the sun fade of the old trim. ...
    This is in a pretty dark hallway that doesn't get much natural light. The trim was stained about 4 years ago right before we moved in. I added a couple of trim strips around Christmas to beef up the child gate, and the match was still close enough for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I am not a dog owner, but why not get the advice of a dog trainer? ...
    We did, and her advice was to keep them separate. The female wants very much to be the Alpha dog when we're not here, and this is her way of trying to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Is this door likely to be scratched up by the dog? If so, go cheap, as it's going to get beat up soon...

I would suggest the first door, as it looks more open and less obstructive. However, I would also suggest matching the doors that are already in the house.

Also, I would consider arranging a way for you to latch the door open. Do you want it closed all the time even when you're home?...

Finally, by those drawings this door is 31" wide. Is this going to be a problem for any large furniture or items that might need to move down this hall in future?

best wishes,
    ...art
    Yet, scratches are a possibility. The version with the panels on the bottom would probably show the scratches more, but it would make it less likely that a dog foot could get caught. LOML hasn't seen the sketches yet, so her opinion will probably weigh into the decision, too.

I'm already planning on a magnetic doorstop/catch plate that will hold it open when we're home.

By my math, the gate is 36" wide...28" + 4" + 4". I'm guessing you saw the 1 1/2" label (the thickness, but that's subject to change a little).

Thanks again guys, and keep the ideas coming. I suspect I'll get started on this thing this weekend. (The hand is healing up well.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

All three dogs are big -- the small one is over 50 pounds.
    But how big are their heads?
    Also to consider with this scenario is you are more apt to have a horrendously scratched up floor if your gate doesn't go all the way down since chances are pretty good she will try to make the space under the door big enough to get through by digging. There is a good chance your walls will end up scratched to if she really wants to get through.
    Aesthetically I like the first gate better... more airy and all that, but realistically the second is probably your better option as far as her not going through it. It's amazing what determined dogs can do.
    If all else fails you can always crate her when you aren't home. Everyone will be safe and your house won't get wrecked as a bonus!
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts