Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen drawer question

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Kitchen drawer question

When installing the sides of drawers out of birch ply, what way do you put the better side? Inside or outside? I've done it both ways in the past for my own stuff but got wondering today what the norm is Material being used is Chinese birch.
    Last edited by Royall Clark; 01-09-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

I did not know there was a good side to chinese birch ply.

I'll give you that Bill but one side is a little purdier On the stuff I've got here is very blah looking on one side and the other does have a nicer grain to it... I think I'll put all the purdy stuff on the inside.
    Aloha,

I would put the good side out as the inside will be full of "stuff". In reality, I doubt it matters unless the bad side is REALLY bad.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I would put the good side out as the inside will be full of "stuff". In reality, I doubt it matters unless the bad side is REALLY bad.
    i have to agree with glen,, if they really bad then perhaps outside but in reality like glenn brought up what do you see when someone opens a drawer? the first hing you notice is the slide type then you look at the dovetail perhaps but you always see the side.. unless your the one gettin in then you see the inside. try to use the best stuff you have availble so its both good.. in drawers baltic birch isnt much more than china birch and much better stuff.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks guys. That's what I ended up doing. I did put the nicer surface of the fronts and backs to the inside as those are either to the rear or covered by the drawer fronts.

As far as china birch or baltic birch price goes.... I paid about 40 bucks for 1/2" china birch and 60 bucks for baltic birch, if they could get it.

I left the decision up to the customers and showed them the difference. They couldn't tell until I pointed the discrepancies out. They said they would rather save some money
    Aloha,

so this was a test huh you could told ahead of the time and we could have studied up for it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I wouldn't do that Larry! After posting the first post I walked back to the work table and looked things over again and changed my mind Women don't have mind changing cornered yet! Plus I already had the material cut to size and was just getting ready to run them through the dado head when the question came up
    Aloha,

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    I wouldn't do that Larry! After posting the first post I walked back to the work table and looked things over again and changed my mind Women don't have mind changing cornered yet! Plus I already had the material cut to size and was just getting ready to run them through the dado head when the question came up
    Just for "Future Reference", Royall, the cabinet shops in my area had to RE-make quite a number of drawers about a year ago that they built with Chinese Birch. It was NOT because of the looks, but because the plys SEPARATED. I haven't talked to anyone recently about it, so I don't know if the quality improved enough to eliminate that problem, OR if they are even using any of the stuff anymore or not. I hope the quality is better now and your's don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Just for "Future Reference", Royall, the cabinet shops in my area had to RE-make quite a number of drawers about a year ago that they built with Chinese Birch. It was NOT because of the looks, but because the plys SEPARATED. I haven't talked to anyone recently about it, so I don't know if the quality improved enough to eliminate that problem, OR if they are even using any of the stuff anymore or not. I hope the quality is better now and your's don't have that problem.

Wow Thanks for the heads up Norman, hadn't heard anything like that here. Hope it was an isolated bad or "badder" batch of ply. I built all the cabinets in my new home two years ago now with the same material and so far I haven't had any problems
    Aloha,