Thread: More Questions: Router/Jointer

More Questions: Router/Jointer

Will try to keep these Brief

* Will the SKIL-1825 possibly use the same 3/Hole pattern as an older Craftsman Router?

I am Pre-drilled into a new Phelonic Insert and would like to have both 1/4 + 1/2 Collets, and additional power

* Any suggestions on learning to properly use a new Router table? Need to learn best way to set-up fence, calculate Depth of Cut/Height adjustments, etc.

Any specific Books recommended

Are the 6" Bench-top Jointers worth owning, or can you do as well with the Router for this?

Thamks,

Bruce N.

Bruce, where are you geographically? If you're close by I could give you a hands-on show and tell that might speed up your learning curve. Not that I'm an expert but, I learn a lot faster if someone shows me how to do something and then I actually do it. I'm in SoCal about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. Just an offer.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Re-Classed Post: Router/Jointer Questions

Will try to keep these Brief* Will the SKIL-1825 possibly use the same 3/Hole pattern as an older Craftsman Router?I am Pre-drilled into a new Phelonic Insert and would like to have both 1/4 + 1/2 Collets, and additional power* Any suggestions on learning to properly use a new Router table? Need to learn best way to set-up fence, calculate Depth of Cut/Height adjustments, etc. Any specific Books recommendedAre the 6" Bench-top Jointers worth owning, or can you do as well with the Router for this?

Note- I mistakenly posted this in the "Classified" area first

Thanks,Bruce N.

Bruce, I know nothing about the Skil and Craftsman routers, so I'm no help on that question. As far as learning to use a router table, I've seen this book recommended by others in the past:

Bill Hylton's Ultimate Guide to the Router Table

And no discussion on router education is complete without a reference to this book, by Carol Reed (one of our members here), who was "The Router Lady" in a previous life.

Router Joinery Workshop

It's not specific to router tables, but it covers a lot of useful ground.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Here is a place that has a lot of info & products he is a router instructor & author as well.

Pat Warner ROUTER WOODWORKING

http://www.patwarner.com
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-10-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Instead if changing routers, just mount the half inch router and use a quarter inch adapter for your smaller bits. Unless of course you are Norm Abrums who changes router, not bits.
    Mike
    Make your "go-arounds" worth waiting for!

Hi Bruce.

I'm not expert at all with routers but I have a book called " Cutting edge router tips & tricks" by Jim Stack (Popular woodworking Books) where apart from explaining how to use a router there are several projects of increasing difficulty plus some easy jigs to make.

I found it very useful and worth having.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Hey Bruce, I merged the posts in your original thread (in the Classified section) into this one. That way all the replies are in the same place for you.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com