coffee and end tables

Tom Clark

Years ago I built a coffee table and two end tables, using an article in Wood Magazine as a guide. I have never been one to follow plans much, as it just seems more fun to do it your own way. However, you have to be careful or beginners can design some pretty ugly stuff. The article gave me ideas for proportions, to keep the tables looking nice. One of the end tables was customized to hold some stereo equipment instead of the standard shelf. The first three photos are of the original tables.

After redoing our living room last year, the wife wanted two new end tables, "similar to the other ones, but different. And I want them 'this size'," she said while holding up her hands. The tape measure said that they were to be 12" wide x 24" high, and 21" high. So they are. Wives are always right, right?

The first tables were made from mahogany, and had black Formica with a leather looking finish for tops. There was still some of the mahogany in the stock rack, and a small piece of the Formica left over too.

I kept sketching out designs - the old way with paper and pencil - but couldn't come up with tapered legs that I liked. I finally went with a simple design that used square legs, and used a beading bit to add some character to the otherwise very simple project. Sometimes simple works for me…

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Nice tables Tom :thumb: Simple design? Don't know, just know that they are very nice and well done. Winter is back, so you must be back to your shop in Florida? If so, enjoy the warmth :D

Tom