Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A newbie

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

A newbie

I want to thank the forum for allowing me to participate. I came across the forum before Xmas and have loosly followed, and I believe I should partipate. I first did woodwork in JHS shop; as I am sure many of you did. I remember the shop teacher and him going off to WWII. It is hard to believe we were ever so young.
    I have one question for today. Does any one know how to glue a strip of UHD polyethylene to wood. I want to use it as slide strips in drawers.

Thank you for letting me into your world....................Ray Gerdes
    Last edited by Raymond Gerdes; 01-10-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: no signature

Welcome to the family, Raymond.
    I have long believed that UHD and UHMW poly materials were simply glue-proof. But, someone, not long ago, said that there are glues just for those materials. They didn't say which glues or where to get them. If you find out, or someone who knows posts the info, it would be very useful to a lot of us.
    BTW, Woodcraft sells strips of UHMW that are sticky on one side, so they know, or their source knows.

Welcome aboard Ray. Sorry I cant help you with gluing that stuff but you might look for a Plastic Supply Co in your area and they should be able to help you. Look for something like Regal Plastic or some place that wholesales polycarbonate (Plexiglas and Lexan) and such.
    Jay

Welcome to the Family, Raymond. Sorry, but can't help you with the glue question.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Welcome to the family Ray , sorry I can't be of much help . But I'm sure that some will be able to help you ............Marshall.......
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

Welcome to the family Ray!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The only thing that I can figure you might be able to do is find some strips that are a little bit thicker and counter sink some holes and screw them down. If you could find som of the plastic Tractor Trailer mud flaps they are about 1/4" thick and cut into strips would work nicely. I know they are slick enough because I fell enough times stepping on them.
    My plan is to learn to build furniture and I am going to be self taught.

Welcome to the Family Ray!

Does it have to be strips?

I think you can get that UHMW stuff in little button like things, with one end that would go in a hole you drill

I know they have the sticky sided tape stuff for sale too.

Good luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lange View Post
    The only thing that I can figure you might be able to do is find some strips that are a little bit thicker and counter sink some holes and screw them down.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Welcome to the clubhouse, Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lange View Post
    The only thing that I can figure you might be able to do is find some strips that are a little bit thicker and counter sink some holes and screw them down.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    I've done that in the past. I've also drilled and tapped threads into the plastic to hold it from the other side. Here's a shot of a t-shaped rail I put on a vertical sled I made a few years back. The Rail is UHDP cut to fit in a t-track; the washers are there as a spacer. They are held in place with screws countersunk into the plywood on the other side. You can also see some of the plastic "slick tape" I used on the sled...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VertSled8_600_LR.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	27646

Here's the complete "t-rail"...

Name:	VertSled4_600_LR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	27647

And while I'm posting pics, a shot of how it mates with the auxiliary fence...

Name:	VertSled6_600_LR.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	27648
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com