Another one (or 6) for Darren

Chas Jones

_________
_________ ___
____________Spalted Beech(150mm)_________Spalted Beech(146mm)
_________
_________ ___
____________Spalted Beech(144mm)_________Spalted Beech(150mm)

Chas these are great bowls:thumb:, the Spalted Beech has so much color , and would be a fine addition to any decor .:thumb:...........Marshall..........:wave:

:rofl:

Those look really good Chas, can you do some made with...oh I don't know...beech?

So do you have one of the coring tools for doing multiple bowls from the same block of wood? I know all those were separate, but just curious.

:rofl:

Those look really good Chas, can you do some made with...oh I don't know...beech?

So do you have one of the coring tools for doing multiple bowls from the same block of wood? I know all those were separate, but just curious.

Hi Darren, no only one of the Sorby? straight Slicers in a homemade handle.
Don't use it very often, and experience with the limitations on wood type and usability scuppered the idea of getting the Kel system, came to the conclusion that for the most part I would be spending more money and time working the tool setup than the wood I use is worth.

Very nice, every one of them. Can you tell us about your finish? Looks like it is real nice and would feel good in the hand. Must be quick as well to crank them out as fast as you do. Just curious
Doug

.....Can you tell us about your finish? ....

Yes it is very quick, perhaps not considered 'shine durable' by some if handled a lot as it is basically Beeswax, with a little Carnuba.

The reason for this finish is because of the customers requirement for it to be an easily refreshed with natural products.

On harder woods it's basically sand down to 240-320 grit, with lathe stationary wipe/brush on a coating of Cellulose sanding sealer (I dilute mine abut 30%) wipe off surplus and burnish ensuring there are no build up streaks, denib raised grain or dust marks if necessary, with lathe stationary apply wax with non abrasive webrax/nyweb and burnish with soft cotton cloth (old hand towel)

Only difference with Spalted wood is extra coats of sealer may be needed during final sanding/denibing.

Whole process on sound wood takes less than 2 minutes.

Regarding robustness of finish, fruit bowls in use in our household on a daily basis have not required attention in 3 years.

Process is shown in this UKW Thread