Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS ??

GPS ??

Do you use a GPS unit and if so, what are your likes and dislikes about it?
    Thanks,

yes i have many times,, smallunits and mostly for fishn,, the newer ones are better than what i use.. i do have one of those get there with units for the truck and change it out for the car sometimes..the garmin unit..it works but sometimes there is abetter way and you still need to have amap with you...iused it on my last journy in the spring and it worked well i got from home to clardys and tods and franks and then all the way over to marty's and back safly..have used them in the woods too but the canopy soeties interfrd with it..lowrance unit..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have one built into my car and use it all the time. But I expect you're looking for feedback on portable units (not built-in units).

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a hand held E-Trex which I have never used despite the substantial investment in the unit and software (maps). OK for hiking, hunting and such but not very rapid in acquiring new positions.
    We also have a car unit which is handy for going to new locations. But, one must be very careful to not accept directions blindly. It can give very strange instructions. e.g. Going from our home in north Arkansas to Little Rock, it will try to take us down a dead-end gravel road (I know it's dead end because I used to own the farm at the end); a steep goat trail that ends at the White River and would take a goat to get back up; many private driveways that lead to nowhere, etc. It is not precise. It puts our home on another street more than a quarter mile away. But, use common sense and it can be very helpful. I'm sure we will always have one from now on.

I use a tom-tom. Just a cheap one, got it remaindered off ebay. It's saved me countless times... and ended all the arguments. I wouldn't be without it...

Thanks,

Bill

My wife has a garmin. We rented one when we were out in San Francisco, CA for a week. She gets lost very easy, but with it, was driving all over San Francisco by herself, pretty good for a mid-west girl. Several of the new ones have the lane assist on them that tells you which lane you need to be in when approaching a split in the highway (no not when your in the UK and driving on the wrong side of the road Larry ).

Best thing to do is go the local electronics borg and try one out. I think several are now coming with free traffic alerts too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

It really depends on what you would like to use for (e.g. wilderness tracking or roadside navigation aid). I own the road atlas kind (a Garmin Nuvi 200w) and absolutely love it. It was relatively cheap ($150), easy to use (my mother-in-law has figured it out), and (so far) 100% accurate.

I actually prefer the portable units to the in car models. I take mine with me everywhere - on business trips, to Hawaii on vacation, to find my kid's friends houses.

The thing that finally pushed me over the edge in buying one of these was my mother-in-laws insistence that either my wife or I accompany her everywhere due to her fear of getting lost. Once she saw how this works, she manages much better on her own.

I have a few, one a first generation, seat of the pants affair. I also have one that attaches to my laptop which we use to determine what amenities are at the next exit for longer trips. I also have a smaller unit in each car for local trips.

They are all great!

For the car, or walking on city streets, etc. - a Garmin Nuvi 350. Nice little device, with an internal battery so it can be used handheld, or in the car without having to plug in.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have a Garmin etrex, one of the cheaper models. My main use for it is fishing on Henry's Lake in Idaho. There are several springs under the lake where the fish congregate. I used to troll around all day trying to find them, but now I can just go right to the 'spot'.