Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are router bits shanks and collets universal?

Are router bits shanks and collets universal?

The title says it all.

Knowing the diferences between countries that use metric or imperial system units as per threads, and other things I wonder if router and router bit manufacturers make different shanks and collet diameters depending on the country they are selling their products.

Does any of you know about this??

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

as far as i can tell, here in the states, the router bits i've used have either been 1/4" or 1/2". my milwaukee router came with 2 collets, for those size bits. hopefully this shines some light on the problem.

dan
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Yes they "Should Be" 1/4" & 1/2" but some foreign "less than precision" outfits may produce "slightly undersized" shanks. These you must be careful as they may slip out of the Collet.

I have seen some bits with metric size shanks but those vendors offer adapters to 1/2" I have seen Metric saw blade holes as well but I don't know how popular they are. We need someone from Europe to answer.

i agree on some undersized economy bits have had one loosen up..and they also have 8mm bits for the leigh jigs.. but over seas size i dont know toni..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Porter-Cable makes 1/4", 8mm, 3/8", and 1/2" collets for sure (I have them all) and I think they also make a 12mm.

1/4" & 1/2" are the U.S. 'standards' but the rest of the world uses SI (metric).

I use the 8mm collet for the (Canadian) Leigh jig bits, and the 3/8" one for using two-flute end mills. The end mills are solid carbide, up-cutting, and are way cheaper than solid carbide spiral router bits.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Porter-Cable makes 1/4", 8mm, 3/8", and 1/2" collets for sure (I have them all) and I think they also make a 12mm.

1/4" & 1/2" are the U.S. 'standards' but the rest of the world uses SI (metric).

I use the 8mm collet for the (Canadian) Leigh jig bits, and the 3/8" one for using two-flute end mills. The end mills are solid carbide, up-cutting, and are way cheaper than solid carbide spiral router bits.
    got a link to the end mills jim?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.
    CMT Bits are made in Italy. If you try to find a metric size, you have to look in their very large catalog, not in the small catalog given away free at tool shops.

I have a few of their metric bits, but these are 1/4" shank. I'll have to check with a digital caliper to see if the shank is 6mm or 1/4"

I have a bunch of 8mm shank bits from England. And I have no trouble in a half-inch router when I use the 8mm sleeve.

Gary Curtis

short answer......yup there are different euro sizes.
    i don`t know what is available in spain so you should find a local supplier and deal with them.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    short answer......yup there are different euro sizes.
    i don`t know what is available in spain so you should find a local supplier and deal with them.
    Thanks Tod ( and the rest) That is what I feared about, I've measured the shanks of my bits and they are 7.97mm that is 0.31" does that make sense to you? I mean do you have 0.31" standard diameter shanks?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...