lingerie chest idea

Dan Noren

Staff member
sis in law wanted me to build one for her, after seeing one that her friend has. i figured why not?:D

so, after giving it some thought, :bang:, i decided to try my hand at a little greene & greene influence.

Attachments

• chest idea.jpg
    chest idea.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 38
  • chest idea open drawer.jpg
    chest idea open drawer.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 32
  • chest idea side and back.jpg
    chest idea side and back.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 20
Nice design Dan :thumb: The G&G influence is nice. Only one question, isnt there 7 drawers on lingerie chests? One for each day of the week? May be wrong though.

Tom

this isn't over yet. sis in law called, said she liked the idea, but can it be done in a darker wood? i was thinking african mahogany with a poly finish. darker than the example, but won't overwhelm the inserts....

i just love giving people the opportunity to change my mind.... :bang:

sis in law wanted me to build one for her, after seeing one that her friend has. i figured why not?:D

so, after giving it some thought, :bang:, i decided to try my hand at a little greene & greene influence.

Hi Dan.
Being a G&G fan myself I find your design great! However, I would not go for a different colour on the drawer joints. Pegs on the frame and splines on the breadboard ends on the top look terrific.:thumb: The front sides of the drawers looks too busy to me.

If she's asked to do it in a darker wood, the shadows cast by the faked joinery will be enough to enhance the joints themselves no need to be in a darker colour.

Now that you are on the design stage and made it on SU you can change the colours and make your mind up.

But after all it is your design and this is only my opinion, I look forward to see it done, I'm sure it will look great!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

thanks guys! i sent her an email with pics of what it would look like with both a dark cherry, and a dark mahogany finish, and dark walnut accents. here are the results...

Attachments

• kel chest idea cherry with dark walnut.jpg
    kel chest idea cherry with dark walnut.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 16
  • kel chest idea mahogany with dark walnut.jpg
    kel chest idea mahogany with dark walnut.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 12
Hi Dan,

This chest is shaping up nicely! Have you given any though to lowering the back trim on the top to give it a more elongated look and round over the elevation changes to give it more of the "cloud lift" appearance?

I'm looking forward to seeing the construction pics for this!

Hello Dan. I like your drawing and design. The contrast of the two woods will work well together. The only other thought that came to mind would be to modify the size of the upper drawer (smaller) to give the chest a less uniform look.

The local woodworking club decided to build a lingerie chest as a learning exercise. Research showed that lingerie chests always had 7 drawers (although the research suggested it was related to the origin of the word, not the number of days of the week).

Several high end chests I have seen also include jewelry storage, so you might include a couple smaller drawers at the top for jewelry, and make the traditional 7 drawers.

As an engineer looking at how they are used, it seems to be to store things that don't stack well in a larger drawer, such as slippery underware and socks. Therefore you might want to lean towards a slightly narrower drawer. Some nice units I have seen have openings on the sides to hold necklaces and scarves, if you have extra room to fill

Of course, if you have an order, the customer is always right!

i hate to fly in the face of tradition charlie, but its what she wants. i was lucky to sneak the inserts into the design. i had one design, that had 6 drawers in the main case, 2 drawers in an upper case, 5 secret compartments hidden all over. but, she said no, she wanted 5 drawers, and fairly plain. what can i say? :dunno:

i hate to fly in the face of tradition charlie, but its what she wants. ...

Of course, if you have an order, the customer is always right!

I took a lingerie chest I had built for my wife to the wooworkers club meeting as an example. Some of the members objected to calling it a lingerie chest because it only had 6 drawers (plus jewelry and scarf compartments). My wife still likes it! (it can be seen on my web site)