Thread: borg pricing

borg pricing

We have two shelf display units built by my father. Both have finials topping them off.
    During a move, a couple finials got broken off and lost. I removed a remaining one to even things up. They are small, under 2" high.
    Now, the wife wants both units to look the same again. Not a big problem, just replace the finials. If they were removable, I would take one to the shop and just turn them myself. But they aren't.
    So, I started looking in catalogs. Found many similar but not identical. However, one of the sources I found some similar in was a well known BORG. The catalogs, like most of us have, priced theirs at well under a dollar. The ones I might order will be 68 cents. The BORG wants between $11.00 and $14.00 EACH for these little thingys. Methinks that is pretty shocking.

Might be shocking, but I charge, depending on the size, at least $25.00 to make them.

If for LOML, that's a different story!

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    Might be shocking, but I charge, depending on the size, at least $25.00 to make them.

If for LOML, that's a different story!

Bruce
    That's custom made. I would probably charge $10.00 to $15.00 per for custom turning these little ones. But, they are mass machine turned deals which makes others able to sell them for 68 cents each, at a profit.

they must get the price, so IM not sure what that says about the consumer.

Hi Frank.

May be it is a bit more work but have you tried to copy the profile of those finials with a profile copier?

The old fashioned way of using two or three decks of playing cards also works pretty well.

Then, just transfer the profile onto a piece of thin cardboard, cut it to make the template, make the necessary adjustments until the template fits the original ones and there you go, right to the lathe.

Making a mold with alginate or silly-putty would also work and you could cast a plaster model to have it in front to measure and check when you turn the copies.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi Frank.

May be it is a bit more work but have you tried to copy the profile of those finials with a profile copier?

The old fashioned way of using two or three decks of playing cards also works pretty well.

Then, just transfer the profile onto a piece of thin cardboard, cut it to make the template, make the necessary adjustments until the template fits the original ones and there you go, right to the lathe.

Making a mold with alginate or silly-putty would also work and you could cast a plaster model to have it in front to measure and check when you turn the copies.

Good tips. Thanks. I like the playing card thing. Simple. I like simple.

Frank,

while you're at the borg, go to the tile aisle. There you'll find a little device, made of wood or resin, with several dozen retractable pins. Does the same thing as the playing card trick, but you won't be finding yourself playing 52 pickup...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Frank,

while you're at the borg, go to the tile aisle. There you'll find a little device, made of wood or resin, with several dozen retractable pins. Does the same thing as the playing card trick, but you won't be finding yourself playing 52 pickup...

Thanks,

Bill
    Will do today. Need an excuse to get out of the house. Shop is cold and I'm getting cabin fever.
    thanks for tip.

I didn't think it got cold that far south.

Erm, if this idea gets you in hot water I will blame someone else for it (where's Ned, is he looking? ), but how about just turning and replacing all of the things? Or just buy enough at $0.68 to replace the lot of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    I didn't think it got cold that far south.

Erm, if this idea gets you in hot water I will blame someone else for it (where's Ned, is he looking? ), but how about just turning and replacing all of the things? Or just buy enough at $0.68 to replace the lot of them?
    Yep, it can git cold. But, I tell folks, winter comes later here, doesn't stay long, and leaves earlier.
    As for your idea, I thought of that also. But there are problems.
    1) It would be real work. :eek :
    2) The existing are glued in with tenons and it really would be labor intensive to cut off and redrill.

Yesterday, I purchased a contour copier at the borg for about $8.00. It will do the job and I can turn the new ones myself. Plus, I have a feeling I will find uses for this in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails contour tool.jpg