Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to spend $50

Need to spend $50

I knew that would get some you guys attention.

My sister gave me a $50 gift cert. from Lee Valley. I know this will get me kicked out of the club but I am having trouble deciding on what to spend it on. I have most of what I need in my shop. What I don't is because it is pretty expensive.

I have been thinking about a Japanese saw. I have a couple of dovetails saws but they are not good for many things I need to do, especially when trying to trim some things on a boat. So what it s a good all around saw for general cutting? Most cuts are cross cuts and sometimes but not often a rip cut.

I have been looking at the traditional Ryoba or perhaps their Japanese plywood saw. So what can you tell me about these?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Are your marking tools up to par? It's not too glamorous, but i use my marking knife constantly for a wide range of tasks. I also reach for my 4" fractional dial calipers all the time. The 6" rule is a staple as well.
    But, if you're already thinking about it, the ryoba saw is a really great tool. I have no experience with the plywood saw you mentioned, but if you work with ply a lot, it's probably a good investment.
    Then, i might be tempted to put it towards a router or dado plane as well. It all depends on what types of work you do.
    Have fun with it.
    Paul Hubbman

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hubbman View Post
    Are your marking tools up to par? .... I also reach for my 4" fractional dial calipers all the time. The 6" rule is a staple as well.

Then, i might be tempted to put it towards a router or dado plane as well. It all depends on what types of work you do.
    All the above pretty well covered. Really leaning toward the Japanese saw(s). Just looking and noticed the flush cutting saws. That would very handy. I have just never used one and we don't have anywhere to go see them either. So not really sure which would use the most/best suited to my needs.

The other thing I need but not nearly as glamorous is a good set of drill bits.

I've got a flush-cut saw (the Shark Saw...disposable blades) and I find it's handy for lots of things. I use is a lot more than I thought I would. Mine's just a cheapie; I suspect a good one would be that much better.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hi Jeff.

Does it need to be a tool?? Why not some finishing product that you haven't, or haven't tried? I know it is a gift but it will be present in any piece that you apply it on.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

No Toni, I could spend it on anything. But I always spend gift money on something that will last like a tool. And I need a good saw for trimming on the boats with. The more I think about it I am going to buy a saw or saws. I often need to trim something on the boat, especially the ends of the stringers because they have to be fitted on the boat. The dovetail saws I have are sharp but are not always very suitable and often to large height wise.

I will probably pick up a flush saw too, I could have used one many times.

I dont know much about saws, but I bought what I believe is called a Japanese trim saw? I use it for everything. The fact that the blade is flexible is fantastic when I need to trim something and theres not alot of room.
    I cut plugs with it, trim tenons, take a little off if I need a very fine cut, its easy to control.

saws

I have 2 dozukis and I love them. Nice clean cuts.

I dont need much of a reason to spend money atr LV but one saw that I use all the time is something they don't carry
    http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Corp-10-...1895813&sr=1-2
    I've also got the one Vaughn mentioned but dont use it quite as much. LVs got some good ones too though. Just got their new DT saw but havent put any mileage on it yet.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Well, if you're up for a road trip this weekend, Lee Valley is having a special event in their stores...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood