Need to spend $50

Jeff Horton

I knew that would get some you guys attention. :rofl:

My sister gave me a $50 gift cert. from Lee Valley. I know this will get me kicked out of the club but I am having trouble deciding on what to spend it on. I have most of what I need in my shop. What I don't is because it is pretty expensive.

I have been thinking about a Japanese saw. I have a couple of dovetails saws but they are not good for many things I need to do, especially when trying to trim some things on a boat. So what it s a good all around saw for general cutting? Most cuts are cross cuts and sometimes but not often a rip cut.

I have been looking at the traditional Ryoba or perhaps their Japanese plywood saw. So what can you tell me about these?

Are your marking tools up to par? It's not too glamorous, but i use my marking knife constantly for a wide range of tasks. I also reach for my 4" fractional dial calipers all the time. The 6" rule is a staple as well.
But, if you're already thinking about it, the ryoba saw is a really great tool. I have no experience with the plywood saw you mentioned, but if you work with ply a lot, it's probably a good investment.
Then, i might be tempted to put it towards a router or dado plane as well. It all depends on what types of work you do.
Have fun with it.
Paul Hubbman

Are your marking tools up to par? .... I also reach for my 4" fractional dial calipers all the time. The 6" rule is a staple as well.

Then, i might be tempted to put it towards a router or dado plane as well. It all depends on what types of work you do.

All the above pretty well covered. Really leaning toward the Japanese saw(s). Just looking and noticed the flush cutting saws. That would very handy. I have just never used one and we don't have anywhere to go see them either. So not really sure which would use the most/best suited to my needs.

The other thing I need but not nearly as glamorous is a good set of drill bits.

I've got a flush-cut saw (the Shark Saw...disposable blades) and I find it's handy for lots of things. I use is a lot more than I thought I would. Mine's just a cheapie; I suspect a good one would be that much better.

Hi Jeff.

Does it need to be a tool?? Why not some finishing product that you haven't, or haven't tried? I know it is a gift but it will be present in any piece that you apply it on.

No Toni, I could spend it on anything. But I always spend gift money on something that will last like a tool. And I need a good saw for trimming on the boats with. The more I think about it I am going to buy a saw or saws. I often need to trim something on the boat, especially the ends of the stringers because they have to be fitted on the boat. The dovetail saws I have are sharp but are not always very suitable and often to large height wise.

I will probably pick up a flush saw too, I could have used one many times.

I dont know much about saws, but I bought what I believe is called a Japanese trim saw? I use it for everything. The fact that the blade is flexible is fantastic when I need to trim something and theres not alot of room.
I cut plugs with it, trim tenons, take a little off if I need a very fine cut, its easy to control.

Thanks Art for the heads up. I am on the LV newsletter list and did not get notification of this event. Strange for them not to do that. I might just pop over and take a look.

Thanks Art for the heads up. I am on the LV newsletter list and did not get notification of this event. Strange for them not to do that. I might just pop over and take a look.

Rob,

Lee Valley updated their website a number of months ago. There are EIGHT different notifications you can set. This one was a "Special Buy" notification. So you might have your account set to send you the newsletters, but not some of the other notifications.

...art

jeff those japeneeze saws are sweet i have the flex and find my self using it alot like others have said.. i am in the market for one of the stiff back versions now..

On-topic: I'm a big fan of the Marples pull saws. Mine is fine tooth on one side and coarse tooth on the other, apparently for ripping. I usually just use the fine tooth side for everything. I also recently bought a shorter blade fine tooth only for confined space flush trimming. These might be lower quality than you're looking for. I picked up mine at the Home Depot.

semi-off-topic: That in store demo is awfully tempting. I wonder if I can smuggle myself past the Stasi to get there. (Translation: has that stupid US - Canadian border thing finally been fully implemented to deny foot and vehicle traffic without costly papers yet?)

Passport will be good even after June, 2009 (just spent some time at US and Canadian custom sites). Right now, a "unenhanced" Driver's License and birth certificate together are good enough. After June, 2009 a passport or enhanced drivers license will be required.

<pauses to reread CoC>

<decides to keep mouth shut>

<bites tongue and runs the risk of bleeding to death>

<not really, but this is hard>

I guess this was on-topic if Jeff wanted to go to a physical store of Lee Valley and needed to cross the US-Canadian border! :rofl:

Guess I'll need to rummage around and see if I can find my birth certificate. Maybe this will make the decision for me. Though, Ottawa, being the closest LV store to me is about a 3 hour drive plus border time and the weather might be bad this weekend. <shrugs>

<deletes half written sentence and decides to sign off to avoid further temptation>