new turning technique????

Frank Fusco

Yesterday I was looking over the magazine selection in a local store. I spotted 'TURNING' magazine. Had never heard of it before. But what caught my attention was the cover picture. The picture showed a guy turning a bowl from the front of the bowl. Not unusual you say? Well, he wasn't doing it with a swivel head or the end of the bed. Nor was he leaning over. How? Glad you asked. Well, he was sitting on, or straddling, the bed like he was on a saddle. Sure 'nuf it put him in front of the bowl. But, aside from looking strange, it looked pretty uncomfortable. And, I wonder, if the extra weight would/could have a bad effect on the bed. A cast iron bed might be strong enough to not flex, but, really, I dunno :dunno: just wonderin'.
Has enneybody seen/used this technique? Don't believe I'll be trying.
Mine swivels. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I was looking over the magazine selection in a local store. I spotted 'TURNING' magazine. Had never heard of it before. But what caught my attention was the cover picture. The picture showed a guy turning a bowl from the front of the bowl. Not unusual you say? Well, he wasn't doing it with a swivel head or the end of the bed. Nor was he leaning over. How? Glad you asked. Well, he was sitting on, or straddling, the bed like he was on a saddle. Sure 'nuf it put him in front of the bowl. But, aside from looking strange, it looked pretty uncomfortable. And, I wonder, if the extra weight would/could have a bad effect on the bed. A cast iron bed might be strong enough to not flex, but, really, I dunno :dunno: just wonderin'.
Has enneybody seen/used this technique? Don't believe I'll be trying.
Mine swivels. :rolleyes:

Did the guy have a beard?
If so that David Ellsworth, he's been sitting on his lathes for decades

I saw that Mag the other day and thought a good way to get smacked where you don't want to get smacked... with my luck the bowl would come off the lathe and move directly forward onto the lathe bed. I've already taken one in the chest last week, wouldn't want one in the crotch that hit the way the one in the chest did.:eek::eek:

Gotta say, it's really impressive when you see nearly 400 pounds of Big Billy Grumbine up there on top of the Robust! Saw him do it at Five Barns last year. Definitely cut down on the lathe's vibration!

There have been occasions where I've sat on mine to reach a cut, but I don't straddle the bed...I do more of a sidesaddle approach. I could always just slide the headstock down to the end of the lathe, but when I do that, I've got to move a mobile tool cabinet and my DC scoop, too. Easier to just hop on the lathe and get the cut done.