What kind of chisel is this and what is it used for??

Keith Palmer

A friend of a friend found this in his dad's shop and new that I am a woodworker so he gave it to me. It says "Swiss Made" on the handle and "5<--<-<-" on the blade. The blade width is 2 3/8" (60mm) and has a shallow curve to it.

What kind of chisel is it and what is it used for?? I can guess for carving slightly concave shapes?

DSCN6797.JPGDSCN6798.JPG

It's a carving chisel/gouge, as Frank said. The "5" indicated the amount of sweep (curvature) in the blade. The higher the number, the greater the curvature.

BTW, a very sharp #3 or #5 is very handy for removing dried glue squeeze-out on a panel glue-up.

What they said.

It looks a whole lot like the gouges i've seen used to dish out chair seats. First they use an adze, then they use this tool to refine the shape more. After that, an inshave to sweeten the finish. Then scrapers and abrasives to smooth everything nice.

Also looks like the metal ring that would protect the end of the handle is missing. Those keep the handle from splitting and deforming from being hit with a mallet.

Maybe you, or one of your metal working friends could turn one out of steel or brass. Most I have seen look like a skinny doughnut. Nice chisel though.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Also looks like the metal ring that would protect the end of the handle is missing. Those keep the handle from splitting and deforming from being hit with a mallet.

Maybe you, or one of your metal working friends could turn one out of steel or brass. Most I have seen look like a skinny doughnut. Nice chisel though.

Aloha, Tony

That metal ring you mention is called a "Striking Ring" and yes it needs to be replaced afore it is put back into service. Find a piece of steel pipe with that diameter, cut off a length jusst slightly less than the tenon on the end. (file smooth, etc.) slide it on, any striking in the future will mushroom the end to form a snug fit.