plans

joel pilchard

Hello again. Thanks for steering me in the right direction on where to post about a building plan. I am looking for plans to build a 8X10 shed. I've found some free plans, which would work for a experienced carpenter. These plans dont mention specific enough details for someone like me who has never built a shed before. I was emailed the free offer from myshedplans, but didn't want to go with the first choice I found/or was offered. I am a visual person, so I really require detailed pictures and or videos on how to build to be included in any plans I go with. I dont mind paying for plans, but if I buy plans that use carpentry terms to describe how to do something, I would be at a disadvantage. Does anyone know of a good plan for the inexperienced builder?

Joel, I don't know of any sites to recommend. I know I saw a New Yankee Woodshop episode of Norm building a shed that might be of use (Rennie, Do you know the episode?). Other than that, you might go to the local library and look through the plan books they have. I know my library has a bunch of books for such a project.

Good Luck, and show us some project pics.

Joel,

It's easy to forget how many hundreds of little tricks go into building a big project. Almost every plan will have tons of terms and shorthand phrases. When I was facing a similar thing, I decided I didn't need plans, I needed to educate myself. There were a lot of false starts, but the best thing I found was a subscription to the Finehomebuilding website. Here are the results of a search for "shed" on that site:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuil...=shed&x=0&y=0&channel=finehomebuilding&page=1

Best 14.99 I ever spent... ;)

Taunton also puts out some pretty decent books: http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/build-like-a-pro-building-a-shed-joseph-truini-070684.html

Thanks,

Bill

Joel, I don't know of any sites to recommend. I know I saw a New Yankee Woodshop episode of Norm building a shed that might be of use (Rennie, Do you know the episode?). Other than that, you might go to the local library and look through the plan books they have. I know my library has a bunch of books for such a project.

Good Luck, and show us some project pics.
You mean >THIS ONE<
or
>This One<:D

Thanks folks for the helpful advice. i guess I'll try the local library.

If you want to know how to frame a building (it actually shows a house, but a shed is just a very simple house, kind of), see if the library has Larry Haun's "The Very Efficient Carpenter". I have it and it is very informative.

Joel

Here is the book you want. I have a copy and it was a great book to help me get started with a shed. Here is a pictire of a shed I put on the side of the house out of it.
Shed nearly complete1.jpgShed with doors open2.jpgshed 3.jpg

I adapted the design they have to do my own but it gave me all the neccessary details. There are a number of sheds in this book and detail on each one. I see there is a new version coming out but the current one is fine.

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/build-like-a-pro-building-a-shed-joseph-truini-070684.html

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/building-a-shed-truini-joseph-070974.html

Is there something specific that you want to do with the shed like build a workshop perhaps? Then Taunton have a great little book same as the shed book on workshops.

As I sell "sheds" I probably could answer whatever questions you may have so fire away.

Typical construction as follows:

2x8 pt framing for the floor with simpson hangers. If you want to get really fussy you should wrap the ends of the joists with peel and stick flashing before placing them in the hangers (prevents potential rot caused by pt wood and galvanising)

3/4 osb sheeting for the floor with the sheets at 90 to the joists. Screw or nail to joists.

Depending on if the shed it going to be occupised ( ie a workshop) you might want to go with 2x6 for your framing. You can assemble the frames in your driveway and then place and nail them. Be sure to alow for a decent corner connection.

Once you have your framing up go around at the top level and add a addtional top plate.

The roof is up to you but the easiest is a simple lean to type. You can build up a subframe for the high side and then run your rafters off of it back to your double top plate. Use connectors to fasten the rafters.

3/4 osb or ply for the sheathing on the roof. Allow a 1/8 gap between the sheets for expansion. Roll a few strips of 30lb builders felt and then apply the roofing of your choice.

Sheathing to the framing is 1/2 or 3/4 osb nailed at 6 -8 ctrs. Cover the sheathing with tyvek or building paper and then apply your couter cladding.

Enjoy new shed with seveal cold beers

Hey Patrick

You made that sound so simple and easy and quick to put up.:rofl::rofl: I put up the lean to shed in a post a few lines up.

But when it came to my shop I got mine done by guys like you. There is nothing to beat a pro doing what he knows how to do properly. I stuck to the finishing.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks for the compliment mate. It's pretty much basic construction for a house/shed/et al.

I've been considering doing a workshop neoshed but my gut feeling is that it would be too expensive for most woodworkers (ie less money for tools)

when my brother built his shed for the back yard, he had no plan other than what was in his head. he knew the size he wanted, built the base to that size, framed the walls and such on 16" centers, etc. he just knew what he wanted, and went for it. we kid him just a little about the steep pitch of the roof, but he says he has more storage space. its been up for about 4 years now, through mn winters, and hasn't come down yet...