Kreg 90 degree corner clamp

I do not have anything like you link to. I do, however, have one of these. Other than wishing I had more than one of these clamps, I use it by first tightening down the corner clamp, then applying a regular clamp, then slightly lossening and retightening the corner clamp and the regular clamp until I am happy with the overall clamping. I've been happy with the clamp and will buy 1 or 3 more the next time I am feeling flush and don't have something of higher priority to buy. I am aware that Stanley makes a clamp of a style similar to the Bessey. This might be found at Big Lots for about half the Bessey cost. If I recall correctly, I paid $35 for my Bessey clamp at the Woodcraft nearest the 2nd biggest turner named Bill on our forum near beautiful Kutztown, PA.

It looks like the vice-grip style clamp action might not be suitable for how I like to iteratively tighten / loosen my clamps when making a 90 degree joint. I hope this helps in some fashion.

I used my Bessey corner clamp to help make my Ryobi battery box.

I also have a Pony strap clamp. This will not directly help achieve a 90 degree angle, but will provide the proper pressure needed for miter joints or keys in miter joints. One of these seems sufficient for what I have done so far.

Chuck and Mark, I suspect this clamp is not for gluing a right angle, but for holding two pieces together for assembly with pocket screws (a la Kreg).

Tony, I hadn't seen one of these before, so I don't have any good (or bad) advice to offer.

Tony I do not have them and have not seen them. But from the pic it would seem that they would hold the boards at a nice 90 degree angel. But they look to have no clamping of the joint. Looks as though they may actuality do more to hold the joint apart than put any pressure on it holding it together. :dunno::dunno:
If it was me I wouldn't buy them online I would have to see them in person. Even try them out and make sure they pull the joint in rather than just keep it in place.

That was my reaction as well; I sense that this clamp would be helpful to align and hold the pieces at 90 degrees, but the pocket hole screws would actually tighten the joint. I have several corner clamps, including four of the type Mark mentioned, but none of them pulls the joint tight without the kind of extra help Mark mentioned. From what I can see online, Woodcraft is the only place that has the Kreg clamp in stock, and I don't have a store nearby. Maybe somebody will be able to give a hands-on review.

Tony

That was my reaction as well; I sense that this clamp would be helpful to align and hold the pieces at 90 degrees, but the pocket hole screws would actually tighten the joint. I have several corner clamps, including four of the type Mark mentioned, but none of them pulls the joint tight without the kind of extra help Mark mentioned. From what I can see online, Woodcraft is the only place that has the Kreg clamp in stock, and I don't have a store nearby. Maybe somebody will be able to give a hands-on review.

Tony

Hey Tony, I don't have one (like Mark showed), but I've always wondered if you glued a piece of sandpaper to both of the flat sides of the "Wedge" that slides into the joint, (but no sandpaper on the other piece of the clamp), if that would make the wedge grab the pieces and push them Tight into the corner since they could still Slide against the outside 90* piece. If you try this, let us know if it helps or not, OK? (Curious minds would like to know).:D (Maybe a piece of that "Slick Tape" stuck to the outside piece might help it too).

Last edited: