Steel bench rule

Bart Leetch

General tool used to make a 48" steel bench rule with standard inch & fraction markings no metric & it could be used from both edges.Some of the rules now days have metric on one edge & standard US measure on the other edge.

Does anyone know where I can purchase on of these rules? I have looked on Yahoo to no avail.

Thanks

Have you tried Starrett? I have a 3' one I could probably part with if that would work. When you say read from both ends do you mean you don't have to flip the rule from end to end? Mine has the numbers all coming from the left. 1/8 and 1/16 on one face, 1/32 and 1/64 on the other.

I bought an aluminum one at HD actually it is 36" long not 48".

1/8" increments on one side and 1/16" on the other.

Made by Johnson Mequon, Wisconsin, USA

(But says "Made in China" on the back)

My favorite is a Stanley Wood rule 24" long and front side marked in 1/8" and the back side marked in 1/16".

It's ironic to me that you're looking for one of these since I sometimes have a desire for a both sides metric tape measure. Not interested enough to order one from somewhere, but I'll take a peek in the measuring isle at various hardware stores now and then.

I did some searching on some artist supply sites yesterday for you to no avail - unless you want English on one side and Pica on the other. :huh: Also from the searching I did (and seeing a meterstick at work today) 48" is one heck of a rule - may I ask what sorts of measuring you'll be doing with this long steel bar? Or will this be your anti-mugging device? :wave:

I saw some 48" and 72" aluminum rules, 1/8" one side, 1/16" the other, at Lowes today. Don't remember now that I'm home whether the scales went in the same direction each side (preferred for the same system units in my opinion) or were reversed of each other (a silly idea for same system units in my opinion).

Can you make do with aluminum, Bart?

The 72" one was on sale for $10 and the 48" was regular priced at $8 (at the location I went to, today).

hey bart that hugh hard ware store you took me too must have one in there somewhere:huh: they had everything else anyone would need.
Larry

I forgot about Hardware Sales I just read your post & called them & they will have to call around probably to General tool to see if they can get one & will call me back tomorrow. I really want a stainless rule much better then an aluminum one the markings on the stainless ones seem to be better i.e. etched in & finer & the rule isn't as thick which makes working with it easier.

http://www.hardwaresales.net/

Last edited:
Larry

I forgot about Hardware Sales I just read your post & called them & they will have to call around probably to General tool to see if they can get one & will call me back tomorrow. I really want a stainless rule much better then an aluminum one the markings on the stainless ones seem to be better i.e. etched in & finer & the rule isn't as thick which makes working with it easier.

http://www.hardwaresales.net/

I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Quigley down Under... :thumb: Cool Movie