Well you cut up a burl the same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::p:p:doh:
They look a lot like trees found on old farmsteads where the old fence lines used/still are. Possibly a good chance of metal in there? Depends on how high it was in the tree. Maybe test with an old blade? If you have a metal tester, might be a good time to test it out?

I'm not real experienced harvesting burls, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd just lop off the branch parts, then split them in half, following the line of the branch. (Hoping to follow the pith of the branch, so it would ultimately be turned or trimmed out of the wood.)

May consider putting the faceplate on the flat part and turning the outside to your desired shape....then a tennon on the bottom....then flip it over and just hollow it out.......jamb chuck it and make a small nice little foot on the bottom.....either way you will have alot of fun turning the burl.....

Chuck, for starters I would go for splitting down the centre pith as has been mentioned, then dependant on whether you want to keep any of the natural burl outer; slice or turn to best advantage.

To get the attached to sit level I mounted on the bowl face, turned a chuck socket and register in the outer burl and formed the basics of the outer bowl.
Remounted on the chuck socket and finish formed the bowl.

Turned up a foot and glued it into the chucking socket.

Outer burl was cleaned up with fine wire brush, you can bead blast if you have facility to hand.

Attachments

• DSC02861[1].jpg
    DSC02861[1].jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC02864[1].jpg
    DSC02864[1].jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 30