Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping out riff raff...

Keeping out riff raff...

In case you missed it, check the upper right corner for the number with the little minus sign. This is NOT windchill. Its kind of cold in Maine today which tends to keep out riff raff. It's hard to have a drive by shooting when the window is frozen shut.

I don't care who you are, -45 below without windchill is cold!

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Yea that is cold. I worked in Northern BC and Alberta and the Yukon during the winter when it was -50 and that wasn't including the windchill. Brrrr. Watch out for the breathing as your lungs can freeze at those temps. When it gets cold like that Travis pay attention to the vehicals as the fluids can freeze and blow the frost plugs out of the engine blocks. Up north we ran our vehicals 24 /7 never letting it stop long enough to freeze. Oil gets really thick at that temp too and engines will not turn over. For those that didn't run their engines or have circulations heaters installed, There was this fellow in Whitehorse that built a heating plenum that was curved up and open at one end that he could slide under vehicals and it had a 90 degree stove pipe at the other end that he hooked a propane blast heater up to and he heated the entire engine block up and within minutes the engine would turn over provided that you had the right antifreeze mixture in the engine. 50 bucks a heat and he was working all the time. I did years of that and that is why I moved back to Victoria. It never gets that cold here.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Amazing Travis, how are the sheep making out in this, thats all I can think of. I cannot relate to this temp. Its artic conditions. I thought we had it bad at -27 Celius but thats only -16 to you.

Have you ever checked on how accurate your temp sensor is. This was one of the critical things I checked on when I bought my weather station, that and my requirement to be able to measure multiple points wirelessly.

Whats the temp with the cows and how does this affect milk production. Do they eat more and produce less in temps like this or does little change.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Amazing Travis, how are the sheep making out in this, thats all I can think of. I cannot relate to this temp. Its artic conditions. I thought we had it bad at -27 Celius but thats only -16 to you.

Have you ever checked on how accurate your temp sensor is. This was one of the critical things I checked on when I bought my weather station, that and my requirement to be able to measure multiple points wirelessly.

Whats the temp with the cows and how does this affect milk production. Do they eat more and produce less in temps like this or does little change.
    they eat the same it just becomes ice cream and you get more for that rob.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

As Tom Waits said:

"colder than the ticket taker's smile at the Iora theatre on a Saturday night"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Have you ever checked on how accurate your temp sensor is.
    Just picked a Maine city at random (Presque Isle, which I think is a ways away from Travis), and looked up the official temp from last night:

Actuals (high)-6F (low)-31F (precip) 0 in.

And that's a ways away, and in a populated area. Looks like the temp sensor is believable.

It's pretty cold here in DC (relatively speaking), and we're about to host an extra few million people, who are all going to freeze, cuz there's no place to find shelter! We're going to be pushing zero by morning...

Thanks,

Bill

We'll I think you all are nutts for being in THAT cold of weather. But I appreciate what you do where you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Just picked a Maine city at random (Presque Isle, which I think is a ways away from Travis), and looked up the official temp from last night:

Actuals (high)-6F (low)-31F (precip) 0 in.

And that's a ways away, and in a populated area. Looks like the temp sensor is believable.

It's pretty cold here in DC (relatively speaking), and we're about to host an extra few million people, who are all going to freeze, cuz there's no place to find shelter! We're going to be pushing zero by morning...

Thanks,

Bill
    Presque Isle... back when I managed my autohaul fleet (new car delivery), we'd joke that whoever got that run should write when he found work, also he should be very careful which way he turned, as one wrong turn he'd wind up in New Brunswick.
    -Ned

Yikes !

Wow Travis, that's mighty cold. We only got down to about 0 deg F. last night. Heat wave by your standards ;-))

Stay warm and safe and watch out for the critters.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

minus 45 degrees is not even nuts, its very dangerous.