Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor

Compressor

So I have been looking to get a compressor to use for minor nailing, but for mostly having air to blow of the wood chips of projects and my lathe and work space, instead of using air cans, which are not cheap, but I have never had a compressor before so I do not now exactly what to look for. I also do not want to spend a lot of money, what do you guys recommend? I also have a small garage shop, so I cant get a big one!

get your self a good pancake setup and right now they are having deals with a air gun or two in some places.. my opinion is (oil type) not oil less like some are but thats just my opinion..no oil tends to tell me that they arent long for this world???

hey mike would you put in your profile where your from maybe you got neighbors here that can help you out
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've got a small Porter Cable pancake compressor that works great for just that task. It's big enough to run all my nailers (even my framing nailers) and portable enough to carry just about anywhere.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I've got a small Porter Cable pancake compressor that works great for just that task. It's big enough to run all my nailers (even my framing nailers) and portable enough to carry just about anywhere.
    I second what Darren said. I also have a P-C pancake compressor, it works great on my finish & brad nailers. I have used it with a P-C framing nailer(not mine), and it handled that as well. The portability is a handy thing too.

You won't be disappointed if you get one.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

In answere to your query.

I know how you feel when you want to buy something.

I bought three air comp. in the past six months; an uprite twenty gal remfg from HD it was half price less ten percent coupon special, Cost me $189; I think it is a good deal; but, I am not real pleased that it is an oilless. It makes the nailgun go. My good compressor with all the bells and whistles quit on me and I can't see the shop charge of $55 min. I may tinker with it in the future.

I bought two at harbour frgt for $79 each. They are very portable anf they make the airguns work. I use one in the horsebarn I'm rebuilding and the other in my garage in town for tires and my gandchildren bikes and balls.

Next time you go to Sears, HD or Lowes ask what they have on clearance, now after Xmas they will have various tool items, If you live close to a sears service center go there they have many remfg.

Good luck on your purchase, remember every remanf. item carries a warranty and they usually last as long as a "new" item...................

Ray Gerdes in beautiful sunshining Texas
    Last edited by Raymond Gerdes; 01-18-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: errror inmsg

Thanks for bringing that up Larry, Im actually in Columbia, South Carolina, so if any of you are around here and wanna unload a compressor, just let me know!!

Isn't "oilless" what you want if you are painting?
    The borgs have a compressor that hangs on a garage wall, hose holder built in under it. My dad has one in his garage for airing up tires, blowing out the garage, running a couple of nail guns, etc. Actually he has that and a vacuum hanging on the walls one is red the vacuum is yellow, can't remember names sorry. But it is a sweet compact unit.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

re: compressor

I haven't used the little oilless for painting just for air and air tools. But, when I used my good comp before if gave up, I always used water and oil filters. My problem was droplets of water not of oil. I was in HD this pm to get some spray paint with my grandson to paint his CobScout car and I saw they had two remanufactured ac priced right, Next time you are there ask if they have one......GOOD LUCK

Ray Gerdes in beautiful TEXAS

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Isn't "oilless" what you want if you are painting?
    The borgs have a compressor that hangs on a garage wall, hose holder built in under it. My dad has one in his garage for airing up tires, blowing out the garage, running a couple of nail guns, etc. Actually he has that and a vacuum hanging on the walls one is red the vacuum is yellow, can't remember names sorry. But it is a sweet compact unit.

Oilless means that they are sealed and that the oil that is inthe cylinder in all that the pump gets and when it burns out, well time for a new one. It has nothing to do with spraying, as the oil stays in the pump.

I would look for a 30 gallon model. This way you will have plenty of power if you want to spray and it can be tucked under a bench when not in use.

Compressor

Al,

I think I need to clarify somewhat of a misunderstanding. An "oiless" compressor, is just that, completely oiless. There is no oil in the cylinder, or anywhere else in the system. The piston runs dry in the cylinder bore with a teflon ring as its seal, and the bearings, both crankshaft and connecting rod, are sealed ball bearings. Some oiless compressors I have seen and worked on even have a little fan on the crankshaft to pull cooling air through the crankcase and to cool the motor too. Some of those crankcases aren't even closed.

Oliless compressors still make lots of heat and as the compressed air cools moisture condenses. They need to be drained often and need water traps too.

Mostly though, they are NOISY.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.