Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some things I have come to realize...

Some things I have come to realize...

So out in the shop this evening I realized some things...
    Keep in mind that I am pretty new to woodworking and have probably less than 20 or so projects under my belt, but I do generally know right away if I like something or not, so here goes...
    I like Chuck's Makita Chop saw that I use on the job site far better than the Hitachi one that is out in the shop. (Probably for the same reason some of you feel the opposite.) The Hitachi seems to have way more *oomph*, to use a polite word. I find that the saw either sucks the wood in or pushes it out as I am making the cut, just enough to screw up my piece every time. I also don't like the additional weight of it in comparison to the Makita. It would be nice if the Makita had the same laser site that the Hitachi has, but other than that I find the green one to be stupid
    Next on the list.... I am not a (flat work) wooden box maker. I might be a box maker if I could figure out a better way to do it, but all that trying to get it lined up right and glued up right and everything else before it gets all out of whack is just not for me. Not to mention what a pain it is to sand the darn thing when you are done.
    Which brings me the the next epiphany... I do NOT enjoy using hand held power tools. How you all spend so many years using those things amazes me, after 5 minutes my hands are numb... there is no enjoyment in that for me.
    So all this leads me to believe I should stick with jewelry, spinny things (as Larry so lovingly calls them), forks and the like that I can make using bench top tools and hand finishing. Oh, and taking the pictures and doing shop layout and all that other end of the good stuff ;
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Wow - Kalea has 20 projects under her belt?

She's already 10 projects beyond me!

Darn - I hate being shown up by a girl!

Welcome to the creek - even though you have probably been reading posts here longer than me.

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    Welcome to the creek - even though you have probably been reading posts here longer than me.
    Jim, have too many web pages open at one time and lost track of which forum you were reading?

Oops! - Please forgive my reference to that other ww forum.

I'll be quiet for a while . . .

Nothing to forgive Jim, I am just giving you a bad time. Actually I got confused where I was when I read your post, as I am also at SMC.

No worries, Jim. Most of us have spent some time at Sawmill Creek. And we don't get bent out of shape if someone says their name (or even posts links to there).

Kalea, you'll find that some hand-held power tools are less hand-numbing than others. I've got some sanders that I can use for hours, and others that tire my hands out within 5 or 10 minutes. Same thing with drills and a few others in the shop.

Have you tried using tape to line up the sides of a box when you're gluing it together? If you're using 45 mitered corners, you can lay all four sides of the box in a line with each piece touching the ends of the others (outside facing up), then run a single strip of clear packing tape along the length of the lined-up pieces. Something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Box Glue-Up.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	27900

After you tape the sides together, turn it over, add glue to the joints, fold the pieces into the box shape, then use one more piece of tape to close the last joint. Easy-peasy. For small boxes, you don't even really need clamps.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kalea Thoits View Post
    I find that the saw either sucks the wood in or pushes it out as I am making the cut, just enough to screw up my piece every time.
    Stuart, in his post on the new SCMS had discussion about blade type for these saws. Around post #41 the blades are detailed as to the best type for SCMS.

and she didn't like how it came out... did she?
    Oh and by the way... I like the sound of your idea Vaughn... I will try that before I give up one them completely..... and I am wondering if that might just work for stained glass boxes too!
    Last edited by KaLea Thoits; 01-18-2009 at 02:52 AM.
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    No she has not tried that Vaughn. The only thing she has tried so far is watching Chucky glue up her parts for her. I didn't think it was so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalea Thoits View Post
    and she didn't like how it came out... did she?
    Oh and by the way... I like the sound of your idea Vaughn... I will try that before I give up one them completely..... and I am wondering if that might just work for stained glass boxes too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Yes it is a SCMS blade. It is how ever a bit dull.
    Ok, I have to ask. Do you each have your own computer or is some arm wrestling going on at your place to decide who gets to response next. Chuck I hope it is not the latter, because she has been responding a lot!
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 01-18-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Ok, I have to ask. Do you each have your own computer or is some arm wrestling going on at your place to decide who gets to response next. Chuck I hope it is not the latter, because she has been responding a lot!
    LOL!!!!!!!!
    I have my own computer