Antler/Arrow Shaft Pen

Billy Tallant

My dad has been creating stuff out of antlers for too many years to count. So needless to say I've got easy access to a supply of antlers. The other day going through his shop, I came across of a bunch of old aluminum arrows. I decided to help myself & see what I could come up with. The first pen, I designed it so the aluminum shaft slide inside of the bone to cover the connection point. The second one I just used the band to match up the shaft.

Any critiques or comments always welcome...

Attachments

• pen11.JPG
    pen11.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
  • pen16d.jpg
    pen16d.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 44
Billy, very neat pens and idea. This is another project I will show to my students as I know I have a few that have taken deer with thier bows. End of the arrow with the fletching left on might make a visual statement also!! Thanks for sharing.

Aside from the really dismal photography....:rolleyes:
The idea is interesting. But the very heavy bottom looks....uh....very heavy to me. Wayyy out of balance.
Arrow shaft pens are neat but try making the entire pen from shaft material. And/or using smaller antler (have fun drilling it), put the antler on top and shaft on bottom.
Personally, I don't use antler for any pen style smaller than a European.
Slimlines are meant to be, well...slim.
You are being innovative. Do more and post them.

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate the input. Sorry about the pics. Camera is dead & now all pics coming through iPhone.

Pretty cool Billy, I have a couple of arrow pieces.. may have to try them in a pen one day.. and I have to agree with Frank on the size of your barrels... you can turn antler pretty close to the tube if it's pretty solid and not too much marrow... you can do the marrow too, but will need lots of CA to make it work. And I do lots of slims in antler.. they seem to sell well for me. I prefer them in the Euro's and Cigar shapes, but customers like them in slims too.