Ash w/ ink

Mark Cothren

Small piece of Ash with India ink inside and out. Lacquer added on top of that and wet-sanded thru 2000, then lightly buffed.

It ended up about 3-1/4" wide and about 3-3/4" tall.nded thru 2000 grit.

I know what I don't like about it - glad to hear your thoughts.

AshHF02.jpg

AshHF01.jpg

Mark I really like it. The colour is stunning, the worm holes give it character, and the slight upturn in the lip is outstanding. I really do like the lip. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
All in all a beautiful work of art.

I really like it... but if you don't. Try wiping on and off some liming wax. might give the grain something to pop out.

But I really like it.

Great piece, Mark. :thumb: I can see both your and Mohammad's point of view on this one. Funny how tastes differ over little bitty details.

hello, for me the form is good but not great, the bottom 1/3rd is where the problem lies- on these sort of pieces i prefer the base to be the same or slighly smaller than the entrance hole.

i love the gloss black finish- i will have to try this india ink technique.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses.

Try wiping on and off some liming wax. might give the grain something to pop out.

I love to dye Ash because the grain shows thru so well. I do plan to try the liming wax someday to see how it changes the appearance.

hello, for me the form is good but not great, the bottom 1/3rd is where the problem lies- on these sort of pieces i prefer the base to be the same or slighly smaller than the entrance hole.

Thanks George - I agree.

Contrary to some folks I don't like the inclusion of the worm holes, on such an eligant shaped and colored piece. The black is great and has a great Formal presence but the grain pores and then when you turned it around and there was the worm holes. I was turned OFF by them.

If I were to advise, I would say to fill the grain and select a piece w/o worm holes.

The form is formal and the color makes it proud. but the inclusion distroys it.... IMHO

Contrary to some folks I don't like the inclusion of the worm holes, on such an eligant shaped and colored piece. The black is great and has a great Formal presence but the grain pores and then when you turned it around and there was the worm holes. I was turned OFF by them.

If I were to advise, I would say to fill the grain and select a piece w/o worm holes.

The form is formal and the color makes it proud. but the inclusion distroys it.... IMHO

No problem, Bill... different strokes... but if I filled the grain and holes before I dyed it black, would it still look like wood? The grain is one reason I like putting dye to Ash.

And the worm holes were a bit out of my control...;)

I appreciate your comments.