Pre- new shop tour *New pics 2/5*

Since I ordered the building last week, I figured I'd start posting pictures now. ;)

Here I have some blocks laid out to generally define the 18x21 area. I'll open up that rickety privacy fence to the proper back yard once the building is up. To the right is the inherited greenhouse that Jean won't let me give away. :doh: It's old, ugly, and will never be used as a greenhouse again... but the lawnmower seems content in there.

newshop1.jpg

This shows how much MORE shop I coulda put up, iffin' I could afford it. :(

newshop2.jpg

Now I'll go out on a limb and say I'll be electrified and moved in before Mr Hitt is done with his. :rofl:

Last edited:
Be a shame if somebody backed into that greenhouse and wrecked it. Looks like a nice level spot for the shop. I would do lots of planning and replanning so you might get it right the first time. Will be watching the progress.

I was gonna give the greenhouse to the neighbor lady... but the day I went over there to finally tell her to send hubby after it he was guiding a flatbed into the yard with the shed he just bought. She wanted it for storage... so I'm stuck with it for a bit longer. I don't wanna cut it up.

Be a shame if somebody backed into that greenhouse and wrecked it. Looks like a nice level spot for the shop. I would do lots of planning and replanning so you might get it right the first time. Will be watching the progress.

How hard is it to back something into the greenhouse? How much planning you need for this?

Who's this Mr. Hitt fellow? Ned's last name is Bulken. :rofl: <runs and hides>

Seriously, after helping Ned build his shop and stopping over again now that there's stuff in it, space fills up awfully fast once you move in the tools. Best of luck to you!

Oh, if you are using a staple gun for the shop and run out of ammo for it, take the time to reload and not just accept a fully loaded gun of different operational controls. DAMHIKT. :doh:

How hard is it to back something into the greenhouse? How much planning you need for this?

Who's this Mr. Hitt fellow? Ned's last name is Bulken. :rofl: <runs and hides>

Seriously, after helping Ned build his shop and stopping over again now that there's stuff in it, space fills up awfully fast once you move in the tools. Best of luck to you!

Oh, if you are using a staple gun for the shop and run out of ammo for it, take the time to reload and not just accept a fully loaded gun of different operational controls. DAMHIKT. :doh:

somehow I Knew that I would get dragged into this thread. :rofl::poke::laugh2:

KC, good luck with the new shop, can't wait to see it evolve!

Last edited:
Yup I agree with Royall. I built mine 22x22 then comes the 6 inches you loose on either side for studs, (I have to insulate) so thats 1 ft down to 21x 21 on the interior. Then comes the keep it looking nice on the outside and have it fit into the backyard bit with the porch, veranda call it what you like waste of space, 4 ft down to 17 X21 on the interior. Now put the SCMS on a table against the wall and you are down another 3 to 4ft (so the SCMS is going to go) thats down to 14ft then take away Tom Clarks great draw/cabinet design (2ft) and you down to 12ft corridor. Put a table saw in and ????? not much room.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But if you have the space and regulations permit build it as big as you can afford. The space gets gobbled up in no time. :)

Since I ordered the building last week, I figured I'd start posting pictures now. ;)

Here I have some blocks laid out to generally define the 18x21 area. I'll open up that rickety privacy fence to the proper back yard once the building is up. To the right is the inherited greenhouse that Jean won't let me give away. :doh: It's old, ugly, and will never be used as a greenhouse again... but the lawnmower seems content in there.

Now I'll go out on a limb and say I'll be electrified and moved in before Mr Hitt is done with his. :rofl:

Boy, do I HATE to admit it, but if my progress goes like the last two days trying to get the very top section of the east end wall framed in between the metal framing, you may very well be right.:( (that and trying to collect for the last 3 months of part time work I did to get the shop budget up enough to pay for the electric cable & supplies):bang::bang::bang:

Boy the layout looks GREAT, and I see it IS located so you can always add another one the same size onto the end of it IF you start gettin' Clostraphobia in there.:rofl: Incidentally, WHAT's this Mr. stuff, ya Mad at me or sumpin?:rofl::rofl: It's gonna be nice.:thumb:

re: shop

I came in late to this thread, what kind of building are you using a built-up metal or like the Morgan Shed's wood frame from Halletsville? My old shop at the farm was a pole building covered w/sheet metal; the new one here in Denton is a welded up steel with 26 gage R-panel. It was my oldage present to myself. What ever you are using will be wonderful when you move in.

Ray Gerdes from beautiful TEXAS

Frame is mostly up... wanted to get some siding on to tighten things up. I'd forgotten how wobbly a building is without sheathing. :eek:

Found out the mid-wall girts are OPTIONAL and didn't come with the kit. :dunno: Manufacturer was willing to pony them up since there's no mention of them being optional anywhere on the website, but I didn't wanna wait a week for them and figured I'd need some wood in there to work with anyway. I don't want to put the floor in until we're ready to put the roof on... because we need rain here awfully bad, and that's a sure way to get a LOT of it. Soooo... PROGRESS!

newshop4.jpg

newshop5.jpg

Last edited: