Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: assembly problems for daughter

assembly problems for daughter

My daughter, at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, called in a panic. Her husband is eating dust in Afghanistan and she needs bookshelves. So, she went to the BORG and bought an assemble yer self set. Won't go. These plastic thingys (I know not a good pic) set in pre drilled holes then the screw is fastened to the adjoining piece. Problem(s) the plastic thingy is too big for the hole, must be banged in crumbling the MDF. Then once it's in it's loose. Guy at BORG told her to use epoxy. She tried that, it didn't set up. Plus once it's in there is no way to get a screwdriver onto/into the screw. She couldn't tell me what kind of screw it is. "Has four things." Probably a square head. They did not provide any tools. In the end, she said it doesn't have to look good, nobody will see it in their bedroom. I told her to get 'L' brackets and screw the thing together. BTW, she has a rechargeable screwdriver/drill and other tools. It was a wedding present from me to them. Most used gift they got. Daddy knows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screw thing.jpg  

Is that the bolt side of a euro bolt and cam connector? I am familiar with Minifix and Rafix, but this is different, I think. Why not just take it back. It is the Borg's problem it does not work. She will just be taking on their problem. I know it might be a hassle packaging it up and getting it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Is that the bolt side of a euro bolt and cam connector? I am familiar with Minifix and Rafix, but this is different, I think. Why not just take it back. It is the Borg's problem it does not work. She will just be taking on their problem. I know it might be a hassle packaging it up and getting it back.
    It doesn't look like a Euro bolt to me. I don't know, by name, the other two you mention but I have assembled a number of pieces with different connector systems and this looks unlike any I have seen. She doesn't want to go to the trouble of returning. Her decision.

I understand Frank. Boy that connector looks feeble. The euro connectors actually work very well and are strong. This just looks like a very cheap alternative. Of course the hole not fitting has nothing to do with the connector.

Check out www.WWhardware.com http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...206/showprod/1

I believe they are these connectors, they provide an applications PDF file that might help.

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.

???

I hate to be a klutz; but what is BORG. I presume some big box store.........??

I genuinely had KD shelving; I've been stuck a couple times putting things together for my daughters.

Raymond its a reference to the places like Home Depot or Lowes or one of the other big box hardware places.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Gerdes View Post
    I hate to be a klutz; but what is BORG. I presume some big box store.........?.
    Ray,

BORG == Big Orange Retail Giant.

And yes, it is also a reference to the Borg from Star Trek, with their big square ships that go around absorbing other races.

So it just means your local big box hardware/builders store such as Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, or Rona for us Canucks.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Frank, I'm no help on the fastener question, but all day I've been seeing the topic title, thinking you're trying to figure out how to assemble a daughter. I'd figure by now, you'd know how all that stuff works.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, I thought that from the time I read the title but felt I was getting a little to "comfortable" being a smart aleck so let it slide. Buuuuuuuut, now that you opened "Pandora's box", I was thinking, "if you don't know how to assemble her why did you taker her apart?!"
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING