Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife says Size Matters

My wife says Size Matters

Now that I have your attention.... I am about to purchase a new jointer. I am trying to decide between a 12" and 16" jointer. My issue is that most wood I have and use is under 12". However I do have the occasional wide board. I am not sure that the additional 4 inches is worth almost $2K or more in most cases. I will be using the jointer to face boards prior to resawing, face jointing before running through the planer and edge jointing. Old Iron is an option if it is actually cost effective to get delivered.

Your thoughts

Greg

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Yup, your wife is right - bigger is better.

But $2K buys a lot of cool stuff, even Festool stuff .

Don't know what you make in your shop, or how much of it you do, but if the range of 12-16 inches is common and it would make a difference in your work that customers would pay for, then I would go for it.

For 16 inches, I would definitely go with old iron. But that's just a fantasy for me, working in a GaShop.

No one but you knows better how you work and what you need. But keep in mind you can turn a board around and finish the other side on a 12" jointer. So you not limited (thats funny) to a 12" board.

Now, if it were me, no way would I pay 2K extra for 16" over a 12" jointer. UNLESS I had a strong and regular need and it was going to make me money. But as i said "No one but you knows better how you work and what you need."

Jeff
    Who thinks he has a 12" H&B jointer coming his way!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I'd be happy with 8 inches.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Greg,
    I don't know your budget, but if 2K is serious money to you, then I might be inclined to put it into a wider planer, say a 24" or so. For the occassional wide board, you can rig a sled and use the planer as a jointer. It is not very efficient, but it does work well, esp. if it is only an occassional task.
    Alan Turner
    PFW

I have a 16 inch jointer (and planer) and love having it. I had a 6 inch jointer, and lusted for 8 inches, but that isn't enough for bookmatch panels...I have heard arguments that 12 inches is required for furniture work. But having 16 opens new opportunities... I do most of my glue ups with minimal prep, then joint and plane as a single unit - for example, I can do the 16 inch raised panels for 20 inch wide doors, which covers most cases. I am currently making some beds with curved pieces, which are easy with the wide jointer/planer. I can cut tough boards at an angle, if that gives me better results.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

WOW, a choice between 12 and 16 inches. My choice (and I expect the choice of most members here) was between 6 inches and 8 inches. I opted for the larger size jointer and am glad that I did.
    Cheers, Frank

Maybe you should ask your wife if an extra 4" would be nice.
    Seriously - I envy the fact that you've got room and budget to even consider the 12".
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Guys, I'm probably the least likely to want to put a damper on things, but let's watch the innuendo a bit...there is a line in the Code of Conduct (the last sentence, to be exact) that says we're not supposed to post sexually-oriented material. I know it's a fine line, and I truly enjoy the humor in the posts so far, but rules is rules.

- Vaughn, who's taking off the Mod hat and putting the Admin hat back on...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

greg, as you know i don`t even use a jointer.......so my arguement would go toward either increasing planer size or looking toward a widebelt. i`m basing this on what you`ve said about your plans and existing tooling......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]