A Shop In The Making...

Jeff Bower

I've had 8' X 20 feet of my 20 X 20 garage for about 4.5 years, but I'm just now getting it in the shape I really want. Getting hooked on spinning wood about 2 years ago didn't help any either. These two pics show what the north wall looked like when I started the most recent redo about a month ago.

And what it looks like now....the fridge is just to the left.

The bench is attached to the studs of the wall on the back edge and then a simple 2X4 frame and legs. (found in a worksite dumpster) The compound miter saw (CMS) is built into a dip near the center and has worked quite well. I have about 5' to the left and almost 7' to the right of the saw. (it's not centered because the free 2X4's weren't all long enough to make it that way) The top is just 1/2" plywood as it won't see much abuse.

Under the CMS is my air compressor. (it's not in the picture but it is there now) There are air lines to the right for the lathe and upward to the 50' of hose on a hand crank roll up. To the left of the CMS is a salvaged 2 drawer set from work that stores my skil saw and other power tools. It is on wheels too just in case I might clean behind it. To the right is a mobile assembly/finish table that is 46" wide and 23" deep. It tucks away very nicely and hold hardware, old mags and other assorted junk and such. The top is still a work in progress but will be 2 layers of MDF and 2X2 fir edging. Above the bench are two cabinets (also salvaged from work) that I cut down to 10" deep from 18". They house finishes and paint.

I think this is an improvementso far:dunno:. Once again thanks to my frugality, I managed to make all these improvements with out spending much at all. About $5 for some of the 1/2" ply material from the cutoff bin at the local HD...they have pieces marked from 50cents to $2 all the time and it's hard to pass it up.

I've just posted a thread on my mobile TS and router table but I'll include a pic here as well since it's a shop tour. Also shown here is an old pic my mobile DP which will be updated soon as well.

Next up...the east end of the area...to the right of the CMS bench. This includes another salvaged cabinet that works great as a hand tool cabinet. It will be moved somewhere. Behind that is my turning area that will be rearranged as well. This is what it looks like today..stay tuned....

Thanks to everyone here on FWW for posting great ideas, how to's and such. Many of them were referenced while I did this....now I need to get back to the lathe, I haven't turned it on in almost 3 weeks! :eek:

Last edited:
Very slow at work today....so I thought I'd make up a shop layout pic. Did this with Powerpoint believe it or not....The stuff that is in yellow has yet to be built or bought. The lathe workbench and air cleaner should be finished in a few weeks.

Shop%20Layout%20Feb%20%2709.jpg

Attachments

• Shop Layout Feb '09.jpg
    Shop Layout Feb '09.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10
Funny Darren:p

...right now the garage door is frozen shut, but it is thawing out as I type. Temps in the 50s thru the weekend!! :D

All the shop builds and reorganizations that are happening here on FWW inspired me to do something about my cramped turning area that I've wanted to do for about 10 months now....It was cramped before I took in my dad's Grizz lathe, but after that it was really cramped. Monday night I started to reorganize it all.

First I took down the blank storage shelves, moved the Griz lathe to that wall, but now realize that I want my other lathe there. The lathe bench will be where my old lathe was, and the grizz lathe will go back to roughly where it was to begin with. :doh:The hope to finish it all this weekend and will post more pics then.

The last pic shows what the overall plan should look like when I'm all done...I found 3 near finished pieces, and 4 blanks that I thought I'd already turned amounst the piles of shavings and bowl blanks.

BTW, LOML still doesn't think she will be able to use the garage this winter...What do you all think? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• p_00069.jpg
    p_00069.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 68
  • p_00074.jpg
    p_00074.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 67
  • p_00104.jpg
    p_00104.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 68
  • shop layou 10-29-09.jpg
    shop layou 10-29-09.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Uh-oh - not good. You cleaned the FLOOR! :)

What's the spinner on the left? Is that a Sears (or similar) one-tube?

Somethin' does the heart good to see another real workin' shop... :)

Uh-oh - not good. You cleaned the FLOOR! :)

What's the spinner on the left? Is that a Sears (or similar) one-tube?

Somethin' does the heart good to see another real workin' shop... :)

Tim, The floor won't be clean for long and that was the first time that corner has seen light in about 3 years! The lathe on the left my grandpa made back when I was a young pup. Here's a little more about it.

Looking good Jeff, glad I am still satisfied with pens, those bowl blanks take up a lot more room!!! :eek::huh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I need one of your "lumber storage containers" to throw them in...for now there is just a big pile in the middle of the garage, and back yard, and....:D

glad i aint got the spinny diseasae,, my stuff stacks well yurs wont set still no matter wher yu put it:)

That is probably the only drawback from spinning wood...:p