Walnut/Maple Lidded Boxes

Here are a couple of Walnut lidded boxes with maple lids. One has a bocote knob and the other has a ebony knob. They have one coat of Antique Oil. I will let them set for a week or so drying then finish with wipe on poly. They are both about 3 3/4" tall and 2 3/4" across. The lid is slightly recessed which I think makes them look a little sharper.

Attachments

• Walnut Lidded Box Bocote 1.jpg
    Walnut Lidded Box Bocote 1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Walnut Lidded Box Bocote 2.jpg
    Walnut Lidded Box Bocote 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Walnut Lidded Box Ebony 1.jpg
    Walnut Lidded Box Ebony 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Walnut Lidded Box Ebony 2.jpg
    Walnut Lidded Box Ebony 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 26
Thanks. I got the idea out of the book of lidded boxes by Chris Stott. I think there are 50 different ones in the book. This style just peeked my fancy for some reason. The other one I did out of Pete Jordon's cherry burl was from a Ray Key video.

You've just solved my problem!!! I was trying to figure out how to do an inside lid and your pictures gave me the answer. The box helped to. Beautiful job! I like the contrasted woods a lot.

Nice boxes, Bernie. I like the woods and the shapes, but the recessed lids don't really send me the way some of your other pieces do. That's just personal opinion, and it's obvious other folks like 'em that way. ;)

Bernie,

Great looking boxes. The grain on the box in the last two pictures is wonderful. I can't wait to see them after the poly.

Couldn't have said it better Ken...I live vicariously thru Bernie's turning's and I wouldn't have it any other way. How else are we supposed to learn!!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim and Ken. Thanks Jim for the kind words. These boxes were patterned after one I saw in the book I got for Christmas by Chris Stott. Turned Boxes, 50 Designs. Great book.