First lidded Box

Joe Penney

Here is a small lidded box, or bowl, I am not sure how to name it really.

It is about 5 inches high, and 4 7\8 inches in Dia. It is made from yellow popular That grew very dark while in my garage for a long time. It has no stain on it at all, just some danish oil. I really like the grain in the wood. But I think the proportitions are wrong, Any help with how to set up the proportitions would help with my next box.

Thanks

Joe

Attachments

• Joes Pictures 023.jpg
    Joes Pictures 023.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Joes Pictures 024.jpg
    Joes Pictures 024.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 46
just learning how to post pics.

I have only posted 3 threads with pictures. Still learning how it is done.
how do I make the pictures larger. I am using pixresizer program for the resizing of my photos. what is the largest amount of kbs I can use?

Joe

Here are a larger version

I have only posted 3 threads with pictures. Still learning how it is done.
how do I make the pictures larger. I am using pixresizer program for the resizing of my photos. what is the largest amount of kbs I can use?

Joe

I will try to increase the size here.

Attachments

• Joes Pictures 023.jpg
    Joes Pictures 023.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 29
  • Joes Pictures 024.jpg
    Joes Pictures 024.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 25
That's a nice box, Joe. :thumb: I think that's some of the nicest poplar I've seen, and your finish looks great. Not sure what advice to offer on the proportions...they don't look bad to me, but I'm not exactly experienced in box design, either. What part looks off to you?

Looks great Joe, my only comment since you asked is that the bottom is shorter than the top. Maybe move the lid line up just slightly. :dunno: Then again, what do I know? I've never turned a box before. :)

hello- the finish looks really silky-what grit did you sand to? as for proportions: they look fine to me but if in doubt why not try the golden formula next time 1/3rd to 2/3rds.
best wish's
george

Proportitions.

That's a nice box, Joe. :thumb: I think that's some of the nicest poplar I've seen, and your finish looks great. Not sure what advice to offer on the proportions...they don't look bad to me, but I'm not exactly experienced in box design, either. What part looks off to you?

Hi Vaughn:

The upper part looks to be higher than the bottom. So I think maybe about two thirds bottom and one third top. I read a post about the golden rule here earlier. Something the Greeks used for all their proportitioning. Lee Valley has a ruler with the graduations that match their system. But other than that. I really love the piece. The color was awsome. A real nice surprise. It will be a gift for my mother. she turned 80 this month.
God Bless her.

Joe

Thank George

hello- the finish looks really silky-what grit did you sand to? as for proportions: they look fine to me but if in doubt why not try the golden formula next time 1/3rd to 2/3rds.best wish's george
I replied to Vaughn before reading all the posts.* You had said exactly what I was thinking.* On this piece I had one small block of wood for both bottom and top. That is why they are the same height.* I will do the 1\3 to 2\3 on my next piece.* **** I sanded it to 400 grit and some 0000 steel wool after that.* The rest is just danish oil.* Not too complicated a finish.* I am just learning how to finish my turnings.* I would like to have a good shine on my nice piece.* So I think I will need to sand a bit finer, maybe down to 800 grit. and use some polish of some sort.* I need to take more time with the finish.* I tend to be in too much of a hurry to see the work done.**** Any suggestions will be used in the future.Thanks Joe

Last edited:
Good work Joe. Don't worry about shape or proportions. The beauty of doing these things is that if they come out in one piece, it's a good job. I think you did a fine job.

hi joe- on small very dense or close grain woods i use the u-beaut system- this consists of sanding to 400/600 ish then using 6"mops mounted on a jacobs chucks in my lathe-holding onto the piece very tightly you apply a eee paste/polish first then on a diffrent mop a shellwax cream/polish.
this is the results on African blackwood

P1000874-1.jpg

P1000877-1.jpg

That is a beautiful finish.

hi joe- on small very dense or close grain woods i use the u-beaut system- this consists of sanding to 400/600 ish then using 6"mops mounted on a jacobs chucks in my lathe-holding onto the piece very tightly you apply a eee paste/polish first then on a diffrent mop a shellwax cream/polish.
this is the results on African blackwood

P1000874-1.jpg

P1000877-1.jpg

George that is a fantastic looking piece, and the finish is what I am looking for. Is that a screw on lid?

Joe

Thanks for the compliments.

Thank you all for your replies and compliments. the suggestions are all great and I will be looking into using them in the future.

Joe