two spalted beech hollow forms

hello all- here is todays efforts
there not a pair (as i dont do pairs!! ) but they are similar.
there both 6 1/2" diameter by 4 3/4" tall hollowed through a 7/8" hole to a wall thickness of 3/16"

DSCF4669.jpg

DSCF4670.jpg

DSCF4672.jpg

DSCF4673.jpg

Last edited:
thanks chuck- do you mean that you'd like a tut on this type of hollow form? as i already have one ready to post on a spalted beech vase which uses similar methods but hollowed through a larger hole- if thats of intrest?

thanks chuck- do you mean that you'd like a tut on this type of hollow form? as i already have one ready to post on a spalted beech vase which uses similar methods but hollowed through a larger hole- if thats of intrest?

How about "Both" :D

When you have time, of course.

Those are very nice indeed, the wood is out standing and the form shows the wood off wonderfully :thumb:

Man George, there's not much to say about those two other than "fantastic". The wood's gorgeous, and both hollow forms look spot on to me. :clap:

That is some fantastic wood and I really like those hollow forms! What kind of finish do you plan to use?

I prefer a satin/matt finish for spalted beech so once there fully dry i will apply some organoil hard burnishing oil or chestnuts finishing oil.

thank you for all of your kind comments

"i already have one ready to post "

I would definitely like to see your pictorial on hollow forms. I would be especially interested in your hollowing tools to get through such a small hole, but still keep it only 3/16ths while undercutting the lip and top areas. Maybe some pics of just the rig/tools could be included? Please do post it and thanks in advance.

Ken

Beautiful!!!!!

Great work George. They are really great looking pieces. I am a long way from doing that kind of work. But someday.

Joe

thanks for all the comments folks

I will post the big vase tut and do a small hole tut and some pics of the tools soon.