Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Hall Table W/Pics *Installed*

Curly Cherry Hall Table W/Pics *Installed*

Here's a table I built after seeing something similar in a movie, hence I've dubbed it the "set" table. I had this wood laying around with nothing to do so I thought this might be a good project. I normally try and get rid of the sap wood but I didn't want to give up any width. I decided to use the bottom shelf to totally embrace sap wood and call attention to a piece I wouldn't normally use. A kind of if-you-can't-beat-it-join-it approach to sap wood I don't know if you like it, but I think it works. More importantly, so does my bride!

This was a ton of fun. I got a chance to do a ton of hand cut dovetails. I figured that because the table has a delecate look to it (thin legs, fine tapers), that I should make the pins as thin as possible. I don't think you can get the pins any thinner as they're the width of my fret saw blade.

I turned all the knobs - my first attempt at turning more than one knob. Only three additions to the scrap bin!

Right now I just have a coat of BLO on it. I wasn't planning on posing it until I had sprayed it, but the sun was out, it was 68F and the figure was popping. So there ya be. Thanks for looking!

Also, if you want to see the construction pics in all their gruesome detail, they're on my website. I'll try and get the Sketchup plans up there as well if your interested.

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SetTable.jpg   SetTable7.jpg   SetTable8.jpg   SetTable2.jpg   SetTable6.jpg  

SetTable3.jpg   SetTable4.jpg   SetTable9.jpg   SetTable5.jpg  
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 01-22-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    Wm. Jason Tuinstra
    www.makerofshaker.com

Wow, just wow! Another showcase piece, Jason. Your work is always an inspiration.

Practical question...I'm assuming that with ultra-thin pins on the dovetails like these, you're not really gaining any strength from the dovetails themselves, but instead relying on the side and face grain glue surfaces. Is that a correct assumption?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

Practical question...I'm assuming that with ultra-thin pins on the dovetails like these, you're not really gaining any strength from the dovetails themselves, but instead relying on the side and face grain glue surfaces. Is that a correct assumption?
    Vaughn, another left-coaster still not in bed. Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I didn't think much about the load on the thin pins. The case isn't going to be under much stress, so I'm not worried about that. The drawers should have enough holding power through the glue as you say, but time will be the test Truth be told, I was after a look more than I was joinery. Great question though.
    Wm. Jason Tuinstra
    www.makerofshaker.com

Well, I think you nailed the look, and I have no doubts the joinery will last longer than you and I do.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

beautiful work! the natural opening in the shelf is a statement in itself. along the lines of, to the perfectionists, here's my flaw, its nature, live with it.

dan
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

This is a beautiful piece Jason. Exceptional in form and execution.

Beautiful. Excellent job. Not much more to say here.

Last edited by John Bartley; 05-08-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Jason, lovely piece. The bottom shelf in particular is very striking. I also would normally try to shy away from sapwood. But even more, that dark line -- is that a crack or a bark inclusion? That's something I would also normally cut off. But in the overall piece, it just adds a great centre of interest. It kind of draws your eye to a section of the piece that would otherwise not be noticed too much.

However, photo #7 puzzles me. That is the one with the drawer sitting on top of the piece. The drawer body is some pale wood (pine, maple?) but the dovetail from the drawer back, which is visible from the side, looks the same colour as the cherry. Is that just a weird trick of the light?

Also, how is the lower shelf attached?

thanks for sharing your work,
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

another great creation from a excellent operator the bottom shelf is a eye catcher for sure.. i too would normally pitch it but you just showed me why not to
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!