Narrow base cabinet door design

I need to make a narrow door for a base cabinet to store cookie sheets. The door will be 30 1/2"x5 3/4". The rest of the doors and drawers are rail and stile with a flat bead board panel. If I make this narrow door like the rest it will have a space between the stiles of 1 1/4". Is this too narrow to please the eye? Should I go with a solid door or keep the door same as the rest?

I'd make it like the rest. I think it'll stick out far more if you make the door just one panel, or if you change the rails/stiles at all.

Of course, a mockup might reassure you.

I'd make it like the rest. I think it'll stick out far more if you make the door just one panel, or if you change the rails/stiles at all.

Of course, a mockup might reassure you.

Thanks for the quick reply Art. The cabinets are already in the house and set up. It is almost 40 miles up to where the house is. So to make a mock up and drive 80 miles round trip for a look see just isn't in the budget with gas still at $2.40 a gal.:(

I still have the drawer fronts to cut out today so I'll wait on the door for now to see what the rest of the family has to say on the subject.;) But I do agree that the solid door may just look out of place.:eek:

i used a solide board royal, rial and stile on that width isnt gonna fly.. lok on line at what the borgs offer. the solide board is afine place to show off some real great figure if you have some in it already.

i used a solide board royal, rial and stile on that width isnt gonna fly.. lok on line at what the borgs offer. the solide board is afine place to show off some real great figure if you have some in it already.

Hi Larry!

The grain won't be an issue here as the face frames, doors, and drawer fronts will all be painted. The odd thing that has me stumped as far as what each would look like is all the rest of the cabinets have a drawer over the door. Oh, geez that just made me think...:eek:.(scary aint it!) I almost made the door too short! :eek:Had the dimension of the other door in my head and forgot to change the height because of no drawer!!:doh::doh:

Glad I caught that brain fart before I made the door:eek::rofl::rofl: Just like doctors and lawyers.... I'm a practicing woodworker!:rofl::rofl: and a long way to go before I really are one.:D:D

Thanks for the reply Larry. I'll look at some of the online cab. companies and see what they're doing.

Sorry to have taken so long to get back.:eek: Thanks all for the replies.:thumb: I ended up making a rail and stile door. I took some scraps and put it together and I liked what I saw. Cut the good stuff and it's together (dry fit that is). After I get everything cut I'll start gluing sanding and yuk! the finish. The beadboard panels are made of a composite or particle board type stuff maybe like hardboard and is pre-primed. It was only 3/16" thick so I made the groove in the rails and stiles 5/16" and added a 1/8" backer of mahogany door skin material. That gave the door a little bit of "weight" to feel more like a solid panel. In my kitchen I glued up 4" T&G pine strips with a 2" pattern from HD. Then had to rabbet the back of the panel so it would fit the grove the cope and stick router set made. The router set was a shaker set with 15* bevel on the front. Just didn't like the way it turned out. These door are basic 3/4" material with a groove in it. I like the fit of the panels a lot more than the last. Sorry about the long post and will try to get some photos for the photo cops tomorrow!:thumb: