Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's Shop Tour - Jan. 2009

Glenn's Shop Tour - Jan. 2009

Well thank you everyone who has posted a recent shop tour. I realized I was due. As usual, the shop will never be at a stand still where the whole area is clean but, this is a golden opportunity as I am between things so here goes:

This is what I refer to as the front left corner. Home to the DC, tablesaw/router table and such. The overarm is shown in the position used to service the router table fence.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-left-front.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	28075

After adding some additional lighting and power (and the cyclone), some things had to move about. I was glad for the cleat system on the wall. This area now has a big open spot in the upper right corner to fill ;-)

Name:	2-left-wall.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	28076

This is the left rear corner. Home to my metal toolbox with all the usual suspects plus all my DP stuff as when standing at the main DP this box is to my back. It also hides a dozen pipe clamps in a rack on the wall behind it. The top is woefully full of junk that needs to be gone through.

Name:	3-left-rear.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	28077

Behind those horribly colored sliding doors lives an old laptop that's only purpose in life is to boot up and automatically connect to 'Radio Paradise' for Internet music in the shop.

Name:	4-laptop.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	28078

This is the back wall. Home to a couple DP's and a small BS. The blue cabinet holds fasteners for the shop and some tool boxes for plumbing, electrical and other non-WWing tasks. The brown cabinet holds my jigs and sharpening supplies.

Name:	5-back-wall.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	28079

Continuing counter clockwise (skipping the washer and dryer nook) we get to my sheet storage (there are 15" of depth behind that front sheet of MDF) and cutoff bin. The bins are so full you can't tell where the cutoffs start and the bins end; that happens at the end of a project run. . . it'll thin out.

Name:	6-right-rear.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	28080

My very first project, a rolling worktable with storage, is still in use. That 3/16" hardboard top is made to be replaceable but after more than 3 years of banging away, its still good.

Name:	7-rolling-table.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	28081

Here's the right-front corner. Home to the jointer and the fliptop stand. The small DC serves the jointer and planer via a flex hose with a quick coupler.

Name:	8-right-front.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	28082

My ambient cleaner is one of the things that finally got moved up and out of the way. It is remote controlled and I can reach a magnetically held filter door by standing on the bench . . . nothin' but first class around here.

Name:	9-ambient.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	28083

Here are part of the lights I recently added that now give me plenty of light. Three light circuits are on the shop panel with one light circuit on the house panel so I won't get left in the dark if all goes awry.

Name:	A-lights.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	28084

If you're not bored yet . . . on to a few more pics. . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-21-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.
    Glenn -- would you take a pix from the front end of your TS, I would to see how you are arranged your tabletop.

Ray Gerdes in beatiful TEXAS

Thanks for taking the time to post your shop tour! Look great Glenn.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

hey glenn.........wanna come help clean-n-organize?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Glenn's Shop Tour - Jan. 2009, part 2

And here's the rest:

Here's the overarm in the "normal" position.

Name:	B-overarm.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	28085

Under the workbench are drawers for items used there.

Name:	C-drawers.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	28086

A better shot of the behind-the-bench area. The newer DP is my primary hole maker. Grandpa's 1940's DP is used as a drum sander and a secondary hole maker. The small BS is great for quick cuts; I hardly ever use the CMS anymore, poor thing.

Name:	D-behind-bench.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	28087

When I end up with too many smallish hardwood scraps I toss them in a bin sorted by type (sorta). When that one gets full I build another and stack them. There is a treasure trove of shop-made-pulls and detail-parts material in those bins ;-)

Name:	E-scrap-bins.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	28088

I try to never pass up a spot to stuff some cubbys or drawers. This is the backside of the outfeed table.

Name:	F-outfeed-storage.jpg 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	28089

My blade rack and hand screws are tucked beside the DC.

Name:	G-blade-handscrew-storage.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	28090

And I guess that oughta qualify me till next year. Thanks all!
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Gerdes View Post
    Glenn -- would you take a pix from the front end of your TS, I would to see how you are arranged your tabletop.

Ray Gerdes in beatiful TEXAS
    Not sure which part you're after so here's a few shots. BTW, my oldest boy lives in Texas ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22124-(1).jpg   22124-(2).jpg   22124-(3).jpg   22124.jpg  
    - Arthur C. Clarke

thanks for the tour glenn,,looks like you got your tables done and had time to clean up huh
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Very nice looking and well equiped shop Glenn!
    My plan is to learn to build furniture and I am going to be self taught.

I have the same Craftsman tablesaw that you have, it looks like you shifted the fence mount to the right. I've was considering doing that to have a wider rip capacity. were you able to use the existing mounting holes or did you have to drill and tap new ones? I've always been a little concerned that the bolts were only -20, seems a little small.

Also it looks like you have a digital readout attached to the fence, what is the brand?

Thanks
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daan Mooney View Post
    I have the same Craftsman tablesaw that you have, it looks like you shifted the fence mount to the right. I've was considering doing that to have a wider rip capacity. were you able to use the existing mounting holes or did you have to drill and tap new ones? I've always been a little concerned that the bolts were only -20, seems a little small.

Also it looks like you have a digital readout attached to the fence, what is the brand?

Thanks
    Dan
    Existing holes, no problem. Like a sled and many other "I've been meaning to do that" things in my shop; it's great and so easy. The DRO is Wixey and I think its on sale at Woodcraft or somewhere for around $80 which is a steal.
    - Arthur C. Clarke