Compressor for wood turning ??

Dan Mosley

In my area on a for sale by owner site is a Brand New still on the pallet - 135 PSI max Air Compressor, never used, 7 HP motor , Made by Husky, 60 gal vertical tank- ------- thats all the ad says..........im not expert on compressors and would like a larger one than the little pancake one im usiing, not sure about stages and all the ratings stuff so i thought i would ask the turners here if this is a good one for the garage at home to run nail guns, sanders and so forth on ? asking price is $250.00........
comments ??? thanks Dan

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/tls/1002230578.html <--------ad with picture...........thanks for any help

That one's better than my husky, and I paid more! Make him fire it up before you buy, but think about it seriously!

Oh, and bring hearing protection! ;)

Word of caution: mine won't run a sander (something about the CFM). Check what a likely sander will need before you buy...

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
In my area on a for sale by owner site is a Brand New still on the pallet - 135 PSI max Air Compressor, never used, 7 HP motor , Made by Husky, 60 gal vertical tank- ------- thats all the ad says..........im not expert on compressors and would like a larger one than the little pancake one im usiing, not sure about stages and all the ratings stuff so i thought i would ask the turners here if this is a good one for the garage at home to run nail guns, sanders and so forth on ? asking price is $250.00........
comments ??? thanks Dan

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/tls/1002230578.html <--------ad with picture...........thanks for any help

It's a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor all dressed up in red paint run away as fast as you can. Campbell Hausfeld is known for having problems. I have seen at least 2 or more models of these upright units side by side 1 blue & 1 red other then that you can't tell the difference.

Compessor for woodworking

I have to dissagree about Campbell hausfield compressors.I have been using them for yrs and have one now and never had a problem with them.We used them in our bodyshop ans auto repair shops where all you use is air and I think they have proven there selfs pretty good.NOW if this is an after market copy,then I would be carefull,but that should run about anything you want.If possable see if you can fire it up,then take along a sander and hook it up and see how it runs.In fact,thats what I would do,cause once you drive off with it,its yours and if it doesn't work,you may be stuck with it.

CH worked well for me. Had a 20 gal. 2 hp for about 20 years. Had to up-grade when I started spaying lacquer, it just couldn't keep up.:D I ended up getting a 6hp DeVilbis (spl?) with an 80 gal tank. It was a son of a gun to ship over here:eek:

As far as sanders... Look into the Dynabrade. They are used in a lot of autobody shops and sip the air.:thumb: A bit on the expensive side:( That's why I don't have one.:rolleyes: Yet:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Dan, it sounds like a decent deal for the price. (I'm assuming it's this one.) For woodturning it should do what you need it to do, and should beat the pants off the typical buzz-bomb compressors many of us have (or had) in our shops. It'll probably run something like the Grex pneumatic ROS without too much trouble.

For clarification, I want to add a few comments...

The "7 hp" rating is marketing smoke and mirrors. The only time that motor generates 7 hp is the brief instant before it bursts into flames after locking the motor shaft. If it runs on 220v power, my guess it that it's more like 3 hp.

Horsepower ratings are meaningless with compressors anyway. What matters is the number of cubic feet per minute the pump can squeeze.

Bart is right about Husky being a rebadged Campbell Hausfeld. CH used to make really good compressors, but in recent years their quality has declined as they've taken more of their operations overseas, and as they've cut corners to reduce costs. The same situation has happend somewhat with Ingersol-Rand, particularly their "consumer" grade compressors.

Vaughn - Bart and gang - compressor update

I wrote the guy and asked him what manufacturer the motor is.....he said it was Emerson............any comments ??? thanks

Dan,

Does look like it would do what you want. If it's got a cast iron pump, it should be OK. If it's aluminum, then I'd say it might be "Iffy".

The price seems good enough.

Aloha, Tony

Dan look for a small semi flexible say 1/4" black air line coming up out of the tank through a hole with no grommet in the big bracket base welded to the top of the tank that the air head & motor are mounted to this is just one of the fail points I can't remember the rest right now. This compressor may not have it. If the line is there you could put a grommet in but my choice would be to replace it with a hard copper line.