Time for black arm bands in central Illinois

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
Unless something miraculous happens in the next 10 days (and the odds are NOT good) Woodcraft in Peoria will be closing their doors for good. Having worked there for the past 5-1/2 years, it is tremendously stunning to me. Not that I couldn't see it coming, I could. Not being able to do anything about it is disheartning. The store, for those of you who never had the opportunity to shop there missed an enjoyable venture.

The staff are knowedgeable, friendly, and helpful.

I can't really imagine not having them around.

For those, both local and from a 150 mile radius of Peoria, who were kind enough to support our efforts to keep the store open, and became part of our family, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

On a more hopeful note, I intend to continue teaching Woodturning. I am in the process of moving my supplies into another location, which has to be totally gutted and renovated. It looks like a 2-1/2 - 3 month job. Anyone interested can email me at "MHWoodturning@Hotmail.com" with the type of class you wish to pursue. I have 30 students already signed up for various classed. Once I have your Email address, I will be sending out a monthly Email that will advise you of the status of startup and a complete set of details concerning the classes.

Good Luck to you all!

Remember------------------ if you don't support local businesses, all you will have is the INTERNET.

Bruce

That is really too bad Bruce, having read all of the bad reports of the various flavours of BORG stores that the service and the staff are less than helpful, it is a sad day when you read about a "Good" store with "Great" staff that has to close their doors.

I wish you the best of luck in your new teaching location, if I was closer, I'd be there to help out in a jiffy.

Cheers!

Bruce, sorry to hear about your Woodcraft store. I often travel a lot, and when I do, I try to visit the local woodworking stores. I have managed to visit quite a few Woodcraft stores. How you describe your store is my experience with all of them. Not surprising since they tend to be staffed with woodworkers.

I just visited our local Woodcraft and Rockler stores (Seattle) and they both appeared to be busy. Hopefully they will remain that way.

Good luck in your new location. Maybe you can convince Larry Merlau to take a class from you. I know that secretly, he is dying to start spinning. For such an avowed flatwork guy, he sure reads and responds to a lot of the woodturning posts. Where there is smoke there usually is a fire.

Bruce, sorry to hear. The Woodcraft store in Merrelville, IN is a fantastic place to visit and learn things. I wonder the availability of the kits online if it affects the store negatively. Hope you can continue the teaching experience. It is good for the soul!!!

this is very disturbing to hear.
small businesses with good reputations unfortunately today have to suffer from a poor economy added on to the ridiculous costs of rent, liability insurance, and enough government requirements to make it near impossible to stay around.
I hope things look brighter in the immediate future.

Good luck in your new location. Maybe you can convince Larry Merlau to take a class from you. I know that secretly, he is dying to start spinning. For such an avowed flatwork guy, he sure reads and responds to a lot of the woodturning posts. Where there is smoke there usually is a fire.

wrong bill!:) and sorry to hear of your loss bruce, i too have the good fortune to have a woodcraft nearby and love to tgo there. its another one that is friendly and very helpful.. they got the right idea. if we the customers can continue to help them out..even the wife likes going there just to visit and read the other mags and stuff.. back to the turning part. bill i respond to what i like the looks of and can see the difficulty and art of it.. we all deserve praise when its warrnted.. but it doesnt meant i am wanting to spin around i am a solid flat man, ask tom nieme:rofl::rofl: we will stand up against all those who turn against me:):D:thumb:

Last edited:
Hey Larry, Just because you "are a flat man", doesn't mean that you can't turn. There are many decorations to flat projects that can be and are made on a lathe.

Feel the Force!

Bruce

Last edited:
Hey Larry, Just because you "are a flat man", doesn't mean that you can't turn. There are many decorations to flat projects that can ond are made on a lathe.

Feel the Force!

Bruce

hey yur purty quick fer an ole gezzer:rofl: i never said i wouldnt drop by for look see at what you can do just wasnt gonna buy one of them turniy things:rofl:

Very sad news. One has to wonder why the business failure. Were the margins too small? Was the franchise fee to big? Were they not able to compete price wise? In addition to the employees, I'm sure the owner is suffering also. His investment in building, franchise fee and inventory must have been beyond substantial.

wrong bill!:) and sorry to hear of your loss bruce, i too have the good fortune to have a woodcraft nearby and love to tgo there. its another one that is friendly and very helpful.. they got the right idea. if we the customers can continue to help them out..even the wife likes going there just to visit and read the other mags and stuff.. back to the turning part. bill i respond to what i like the looks of and can see the difficulty and art of it.. we all deserve praise when its warrnted.. but it doesnt meant i am wanting to spin around i am a solid fat man, ask tom nieme:rofl::rofl: we will stand up against all those who turn against me:):D:thumb:

Gee I don't know Larry but I think someone finally convinced Columbus the earth was round not flat.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this. I just finished taking a class on sharpening lathe tools with Bruce at this Woodcraft store. Sad day when good businesses feel the pinch. Any new news on a possible purchaser to keep it at least a woodworkig store? I'm glad you are planning on continuing with your teaching. Look forward to your newsletter.

John Dixon