never used one, but i did see one at iwf last year.
best i can tell it`s a combination of dust collection and brand name.
over on jlc forums the general consensus is that milwaukee`s new 12" saw is top dog right now?
i`m still using a couple of old 10" milwaukee`s that won`t die.

I don't know. I was rebuilding some cabinets tonight, and my festool was just a joy to use. I can't see spending that kind of money on a kapex, but if it's half as nice to use, I bet a bunch of people do... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Chuck, if I recall correctly, over on Woodnet (quite some time ago, may be purged since more than a year), some guy commented that he is willing to use his Festool stuff (now I have less certainty it was a Kapex - figure, maybe 60% chance he was talking about a Kapex if they were avaiable back in, say 2006-2007 or so) for final trim work inside existing houses with carpeting and all right at the point of install knowing that cleanup, if any, would be minimal.

There's enough Ryobi and Harbor Freight in my shop that I set off the "cheap" alarms when I try to walk into a Festool store, thus I'm never allowed in and so have no personal experience. This is in no way intended as a slight to Festool equipment or users thereof, but rather me trying to make light of my current lack of "independently wealthy" socioeconomic status. :rofl:

There's enough Ryobi and Harbor Freight in my shop that I set off the "cheap" alarms when I try to walk into a Festool store, thus I'm never allowed in and so have no personal experience. This is in no way intended as a slight to Festool equipment or users thereof, but rather me trying to make light of my current lack of "independently wealthy" socioeconomic status. :rofl:

Mark

Those are frugal alarms.

I had the fun of playing with a Kapex its a great saw is it worth what they are asking for it if you not a rich hobbyist NO you better figure you going to buy it to make money say as a finish carpenter so it pays for itself. The thing with Festool I don't like is the proprietary tooling. I want to be able to go to town & pick up a blade if I need one.

I have played with one at work (WoodCraft) and it hasn't been overly apparent to me why they cost so much. The DC is good, but it isn't close to 100%. There is no collection from underneath, so it still leaves some dust.

I have met our store's Festool rep twice, and have watched him demo several tools, but not the Kapex yet.

Next time I see him, I'll try to get him to give a demo on it, and I'll report back to everyone.

It's a prestige type of thing. If you read all the test of scms in the magazines the only thing it comes out on top for is dust collection and that's usually because it's hooked up to a festool vac.

I like the idea of fesstool and I bought into it with the ts55/rails and table but to be perfectly honest from my humble standpoint it wasn't worth it.

Fortunately or otherwise (depending on how you look at it) I ended up selling it as I was in bad times. Would I buy it again? On my experience in the field doing carpentry, no.

Everyone's shop is different, and everyone's work practices are too. For me, in my small shop, the T55 is a real winner. I used a normal skill saw, and a straight edge for a long time, and it was just simply no accurate enough, to cut to final dimensions, I'd cut a 1/4" oversize and then make final cuts on the tablesaw. With the T55, I find I really can cut to final size, and the saw itself is really nice to use, it puts a smile on my face, every time I use it.

The Klapex, dunno, I bet they would want as much as a SawStop costs in the US for a Klapex here in Japan :doh:

I really love my new Hitachi SCMS :wave: