Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Sacrilege....?

Bandsaw Sacrilege....?

OK, no one throw anything at me, but I'm looking at buying this bandsaw........

CRAFTSMAN® 10" Bench Top Bandsaw <-Link (Canadian Sears Site)

Attachment 2614

You can also see it at Amazon re-branded as Yukon <-Link

Attachment 2615

So why would I buy this?

Well at 73 pounds, my kids can bring it back on the plane as checked luggage

I want a smaller saw for detail work and for cutting curves, like them Queen Anne legs, segmented turnings, etc, no heavy duty stuff, or resawing, that Big Blue does well, and this small unit can be easily placed on the workbench when used, and then tucked into a corner when not in use.

So, am I nuts or what?

A The Delta 10" band saw cost close to $450 US here in Japan

This Craftsman saw is on sale for $199 Cdn ($171US)

It gets decent reviews on the Amazon site.

Well, am I nuts or what?

If I could swing it, I'd love to buy a Delta 14" BS, but they cost over $1000 here in Japan.....

If I could get this saw, to me for about $200 US, hey, I'd be happy!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 12-29-2006 at 12:41 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

what about warranty work if it breaks? other than that go for it!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Yeah, on the warranty, I'd be on my own, in fact, once it leaves the country, I'm sure the warranty is void, but aside from that, yeah.....

I'll talk to my Dad today, and if he can head down to Sears and see if they have one in stock, I might just pull the trigger on this one.....

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Your search for tools and other items puzzles me. I always believed that Japan had a HUGE manufacturing industry for all kinds of items. Are there no Japanese branded tools that you could buy? (assuming they are in affordable price ranges)

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Stu,
    I have the floor standing bigger brother to that one from Sears. Mine got a 7" resaw capacity. I do like it and it's been performing flawlesly for me for over a year now. The only problem I every had was the ON Off switch went out which I redily replaced with an ofter market switch. I belioeve that Palmgren is making the band saws for sears.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

warranty?

well stu wh needs it if you can get a wholesaw delivered to you on the plane a few parts shouldnt be a problem at all. heck you migght hav nuff freinds over this way to ship it to you
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Your search for tools and other items puzzles me. I always believed that Japan had a HUGE manufacturing industry for all kinds of items. Are there no Japanese branded tools that you could buy? (assuming they are in affordable price ranges)
    Well Frank, for me it is the mighty buck, as well as quality.

Let me explain.

Delta 10" bandsaw $400

Delta 14" bandsaw $950

Elktra Beckam 10" bandsaw $1550

Jet 10" band saw $650

Rexon 10" plastic bandsaw (I've seen it in person, not good quality) $320

Delta 12" bandsaw $600

The big guys, like Hitachi, Ryobi, Makita, do not really make a 14" bandsaw, this is not really the DIY market over here, it is about 95% commercial stuff.

Sure, I can buy a newer version of Big Blue, for about $3500

So, if I can get this little bandsaw from Canada, brought home with free shipping from my kids going to my parent's for Christmas, seems like a deal to me, heck, if I do not like it, I'm sure I can sell it on auction for more than I paid for it

I am restricted by size and weight limits for checked baggage, so we shall see, but with Don's recommendation, I hope this one is worth a good hard look.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

That's interesting, Stu. In this day of world economy, it is still difficult for the average person to exchange goods around the world. I regretfully had to cancel exchanges with someone in Australia just because of outrageous shipping costs. Oddly, a person in England can send to the U.S. at fairly nominal expense, but going the other way is prohibitive. Good luck with that bandsaw.

Stu,

FYI: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

If you ever need parts, blades, etc., just let me know.

Greg

Afternoon Stuart.. at least it is here... :>)

For what you stated you needed it for, the money and space considerations of going bigger.. Not the best choice ideally, but given your scenario.. sometimes "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do". ha.. ha...

You have established "why".. unless you can over-ride it with legitimate "why not's"..... "get er done".

Regards...

JT..sarge