Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hand Planes Coming Out - NEW Pictures!

Exclamation New Hand Planes Coming Out - NEW Pictures!

This isn't meant to be an ad or sales pitch for WoodCraft. I just wanted to let everyone know about something that is coming out soon.

In the very near future WoodCraft will be carrying their own line of hand planes (Wood River brand name). They are featured on the cover of the latest catalog (not on their website yet). We are giving out this catalog at our store, but I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet.

They are going to be 4 or 5 models based on the Stanley Bedrock line. Supposedly they are better than the Groz planes, but of course not as good as the L-N Planes. The pricing (which I don't have at hand) seems reasonable. I have been trying to find out who is making them for WoodCraft, but I haven't had any luck yet.

I am interested to see how they stack up to the current planes that are on the market.
    Last edited by Sean Wright; 02-18-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post
    This isn't meant to be an ad or sales pitch for WoodCraft. I just wanted to let everyone know about something that is coming out soon.

In the very near future WoodCraft will be carrying their own line of hand planes (Wood River brand name). They are featured on the cover of the latest catalog (not on their website yet). We are giving out this catalog at our store, but I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet.

They are going to be 4 or 5 models based on the Stanley Bedrock line. Supposedly they are better than the Groz planes, but of course not as good as the L-N Planes. The pricing (which I don't have at hand) seems reasonable. I have been trying to find out who is making them for WoodCraft, but I haven't had any luck yet.

I am interested to see how they stack up to the current planes that are on the market.
    they had a Blip on them in the latest Woodvraft Magazine also, but don't "THINK" they said who makes them, (IIRC).

They're out....

I work at a Woodcraft store, and the first set of the new planes came in last Friday. I examined them thoroughly, and though there are a few sharp edges, they don't need much (if any) tuning right out of the box. They are VERY NICE for the price, and the are designed to fit LN blades. I was extremely impressed with them, and they most certainly are better than new Stanley and Groz......by leaps and bounds. They are priced very well, and I think they will quickly become a best seller in the world of hand planes.

I am not promoting these planes because I work there, truly. I really am astounded at what nice tools they are!

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 02-13-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks for the update, Matt. I've read some positive comments about them. (And of course, a bunch of naysayers who don't figure it's possible to make a plane that's somewhere between a new Stanley and a LN or LV plane in both price and quality.) If the Wood River line is a success, I wouldn't be surprised to see other companies follow suit.

A couple of years ago I bought a Groz #4 from my local Rockler that one of the employees had tuned up somewhat, including flattening the bottom and honing the iron. It hasn't been a bad plane in the limited use it's had. Now that I know a bit more about setting up and sharpening planes, I need to get it out and play with it a bit more. For starters, a trip to the Tormek would be in order.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ...a bunch of naysayers who don't figure it's possible to make a plane that's somewhere between a new Stanley and a LN or LV plane in both price and quality.....
    Vaughn, it's not about the possibility, it's about not wanting to support yet another loss of manufacturing to the far east.

NAY NAY NAY.
    NAY.

best regards,
    Ken

I understand the desire to have something good for less, it all comes down to a personal choice. For me, if I were in the market for a new plane, I'd buy a Veritas in a heartbeat over the new Wood River plane, I'd rather cry once over the price, and know I now own an heirloom quality tool, but that might just be me.

I'm sure that they will sell a lot of these planes, they do look good, but I VERY much doubt that they have the R&D that has gone into the Veritas planes

To me it is just a bonus that I'd be supporting a Canadian company while doing this.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Vaughn, it's not about the possibility, it's about not wanting to support yet another loss of manufacturing to the far east...
    Excellent point, Ken.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

LOL

Well Stu and Ken, I don't blame you one bit. If it comes down to location of manufacture, than I certainly would purchase American or Canadian if possible. With the rough economy, I truly appreciate any and all who put up the extra cash for home grown quality. It's sorta like my dream of starting a woodturning based business...sorta. Tons of people go to the low quality mass producers of turned parts, but they will never be able to match the quality I can provide, though it's more expensive.

Truthfully, I haven't had the opportunity to use any Veritas planes. Veritas will only sell certain things through Woodcraft, and refuses to distribute certain tools. My claims to the Woodriver planes' quality/pros has nothing to do with economics or country of manufacture.

I certainly encourage a person to judge a tool after it's in their hands. But I also feel it's completely legitimate to ignore a tool based on location of manufacture, and at times I even promote that in one's decision making process. However, in this case, I still can't get over how well machined these planes are. The unexpected quality certainly has thrown me off. Now all that needs to happen is to have a person with a Veritas plane stop by and give me a chance to try it as well.

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 02-14-2009 at 01:48 AM.

The new Wood River planes came in at my store last week. One of the first things I did was to pull out the no.6 and the no.6 Groz and do a quick side by side comparison.

The Wood River is noticably heavier than the Groz. As advertized the blade is thicker as well. The machining seems to be well done. The brass knobs are beefy too. I didn't get a chance to get out a square and check the sole. The tote felt comfortable in my hand. The blade seemed to have a decent bevel on it, though it will still a need a light touch up.

The store's owner said that he was looking forward to adding one to the class room shop. I can't wait to give it a try when he does.

I am going to see if I can bring my camera in and do some side by side shots of say a no.5 in the Wood River, Groz & L-N. If the boss is ok with this, I'll get the pictures up for everyone to look at.

I'm not going to get into the any of the debates on these planes..... Rip off of Stanley's/ L-N's design or the one on which over seas country made these. My first impression, after holding one, is that it appears to be a quality tool that is being sold at a reasonale price. I think there is a market for these, as being much better made than Groz, but not costing a fortune like the L-Ns.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post
    The new Wood River planes came in at my store last week...I am going to see if I can bring my camera in and do some side by side shots of say a no.5 in the Wood River, Groz & L-N. If the boss is ok with this, I'll get the pictures up for everyone to look at. ...
    Sean,
    If you do get to take the pics, I'd be very interested in seeing the frog attachment mechanism. Is it like the old Bedrocks and the L-Ns, or is it more akin to the 'regular Stanleys?

Even if it's a 'kit' plane, I'd be interested in trying out a #4 (too bad they don't have a 4) to tune up and use. Might be an interesting project.

I'd like to do a 'hands on' prior to buying one, but the closest Woodcraft store - at least on that has any amount of merchandise in stock - is 175 miles away, in Columbus.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!